Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuck Spark Plug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Stuck Spark Plug Reply with quote

Went to regap all my spark plugs to hopefully help the starting issue I have been having(Post Title "Starting Issue"). All the plugs were just a little off nothing major.

The problem I am having though is the third plug from the front will loosen a little when I try to remove it, then it just tightens up after that...and yes I know righty-tighty lefty-loosy. As of right now I have it backed out the little it will move and sprayed WD-40 on the base to hopefully seep into the threads.

I am pretty sure that the threads got cross-threaded when I replaced the plugs last...not sure though but that's probably why its not coming out.

ANY ideas on how to get that thing out without having to pull the head?
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind...it came out after letting the WD-40 set in. The threads looked good and it screwed back in nice and tight.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you can do is continue to remove the plug the normal way, then rethread the hole. They sell spark plug specific taps at autozone,etc.. If you do have to tap the hole, make sure you put a decent amount of bearing or other heavy duty grease on the tap. That will help to prevent dropping any pieces down into the cylinder. They will build up in channels between the threads of the tap. I would go about half way through, then back the tap out, clean it off, reapply the grease and then finish the hole.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We double posted, but this is the procedure to use if the threads were bad. Also, for anyone else, if the rethreading doesn't work you could get a thread repair kit for around $20 that will repair the hole.

97xjcrawler, if you haven't already, you should apply some anti-seize to the spark plug threads to prevent any problems in the future. Wink

97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Orange. Looks like you missed my post by a few minutes but that is good info to know. If I had some anti-seize on me at the time, I would have applied it while I was regapping...will go back for sure and do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: