Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lowest pressure on a 30" tire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Lowest pressure on a 30" tire Reply with quote

So, someone clarify this for me...30"x9.5"x15" (BFG AT's) on 15"x8" rims on an XJ...what's the lowest I can go without running a high risk of losing a bead. I usually go down to about 18psi (I run at 32psi on the road), but would like to take 'em down to 12 or 13 on my next run. I realize that the tire is not much wider than the rim...but because the sidewalls are not that tall, do I really need to worry about popping a bead at that low a pressure?

Any thoughts, ideas as well as misinformed opinions are welcome. Mr. Green

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MonkeyBiz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12- 13 should be fine if you are just running sand, or rock.. IMO.. If you are going to be playing in mud and woodsy trail kinda stuff, I wouldn't go lower that say 20.. To easy to get shit stuck in there.

My .02 Twisted Evil
Vampire Crew #1
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I run mainly on rocky trails...there's a little swimming involved (creeks, rivers, etc.), but not a lot of mud at all...

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MonkeyBiz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you will be fine with 12 - 13 PSI.. Just be easy with the stupid pedal. Mr. Green
Vampire Crew #1
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonkeyBiz wrote:
IMO you will be fine with 12 - 13 PSI.. Just be easy with the stupid pedal. Mr. Green

Nah...I floor it all the time! I like to keep it up at redline when in 4lo as often as possible!

Quote:
MonkeyBiz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might well, 4 lo, you aren't spinning the tires that much. So ya should be okay. rofl
Vampire Crew #1
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest pressure on a 30" tire Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
So, someone clarify this for me...30"x9.5"x15" (BFG AT's) on 15"x8" rims on an XJ...what's the lowest I can go without running a high risk of losing a bead. I usually go down to about 18psi (I run at 32psi on the road), but would like to take 'em down to 12 or 13 on my next run. I realize that the tire is not much wider than the rim...but because the sidewalls are not that tall, do I really need to worry about popping a bead at that low a pressure?

Steve

Anyone have anything to add? Mr. Green

Quote:
moabe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest pressure on a 30" tire Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
thephantum wrote:

Steve

Anyone have anything to add? Mr. Green

you can run down at 11lbs and watch your turns into offcamber situations...i run 2psi in my sx's when on rock and 15psi when accidentally hittin mud and 25psi on da street...

ps, you may cut the sidewalls at 11psi if you encounter jagged rock in thatcase stay at 13psi
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30-inch tires. This site http://www.sierrajeep.com/airing.htm
says its dependant on vehicle weight.

2000 9psi
3000 10psi
4000 12psi
5000 14psi

Personally I would believe the idea of weight and tire size would have a factor opposed to a wild guess. Then again the author of that site could of been making things up as he went along just the same. Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kizer wrote:

2000 9psi
3000 10psi
4000 12psi
5000 14psi

Personally I would believe the idea of weight and tire size would have a factor opposed to a wild guess. Then again the author of that site could of been making things up as he went along just the same. Wink

True, but he also states "Rim width, tire construction, and weight distribution may necessitate the need for adjustments.".

I guess what I'd like to see is a chart or even a rough guidline of PSI adjustments (by percentage or something) based on the ratio of rim to tire width while factoring in the sidewall height....I know....it's a bit much to hope for... Mr. Green

Steve

Quote:
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd be safe at the 12~15 psi range and if you wanna experiment, trial and error is about the only way to find out. Depends on the wheeling. Slow and rocks and you can generally prevent a tire from blowing a bead if someone's spotting you and watching. Or just make sure you wheel with someone that has OBA Wink Mr. Green .
moabe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
kizer wrote:

2000 9psi
3000 10psi
4000 12psi
5000 14psi

True, but he also states "Rim width, tire construction, and weight distribution may necessitate the need for adjustments.".

I guess what I'd like to see is a chart or even a rough guidline of PSI adjustments (by percentage or something) based on the ratio of rim to tire width while factoring in the sidewall height....I know....it's a bit much to hope for... Mr. Green

Steve

ya'll are makin this harder than it needs to be, just wheel it till the tire comes off, then put it back on and add 3psi??? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: