Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW JEEP OWNER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackedUp1009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: NEW JEEP OWNER Reply with quote

I have 2005 wrangle X on 33x12.5-15 with 4'' lift an wondering if the gears 3.07 is what i should be running with. I cant run in 6 gear unless im going 60 than its hard to keep it there, i have 4.0 an KN air intake system,AIRAID throttle body spacer,CATBACK system.I NEED MORE HORSE POWER!!!! pissed pull hair
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all that bolt on stuff looks good on paper, but unfortunately isn't going to shift horsepower into the correct RPM range. Only real way to get that 'stock' acceleration and feel is to regear......33's and a manual, 4.10's or 4.56's would be the best bet. 4.10's for a more fuel economy friendly setup (don't expect anything magical though) or 4.56's for pickup and go. I ran 4.56's with 33's on my TJ awhiles ago and the performance was night and day over the stock 3.73 gears....also, from a trail point of view, the compression braking and crawl ratio will be better with the 4.56's.
JackedUp1009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i thought, changing gears would do it. Im thinking about not such a wide tire think that would help? How u feel about headers or a chip?Stupid question is a wrangler X a TJ OR YJ an what does that shit mean anyway? Finger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just model classifications. TJ's were '97-'06, YJ's fell betwen '86-'95 (technically no '96 model year...spoooky), and CJ's were before that.

Headers, chips, cat backs, open air intakes, all that stuff will show modest increases in power, I've come from the school of firmly believing that the benefits are still pretty useless if there's a major disparity between tire size and gearing. I'm sure all that stuff would be noticeable (not seat of your pants noticeable though) if applied to a stock setup or one compensating for tire size variants. Just my two bits on it, 'til buying all the bolt ons is said and done, it'd prolly cost just as much if not more than a trip to the shop to regear.
JackedUp1009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Mr. Green
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackedUp1009 wrote:
Thats what i thought, changing gears would do it. Im thinking about not such a wide tire think that would help? How u feel about headers or a chip?Stupid question is a wrangler X a TJ OR YJ an what does that shit mean anyway? Finger

A narrower tires isn't going to help much. It's the diameter that really kills ya. Headers, chips, intakes...they're all pretty much a waste of money. While they may have small gains, you'll spend thousands and see little improvement. Or you could regear to a proper ratio, spend the same amount of money, and see a huge improvement.

Stop wasting your time with the bolt-on performance mods and regear.
JackedUp1009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you recommend I go to? Im realy not sure what or how to work on that stuff an have no time. How much do you think $ ? Yesterday I was changing the diff fluids an in the rear was 3 little pcs of metal not good, but it drives fine. kick W.T.F????????
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: