Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally got all the parts and time to put it together

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Finally got all the parts and time to put it together Reply with quote

Okay I've been bitching and moaning about this exterior tire carrier for a while- I've had my spare inside and roof mounted. But like swampy told me the bigger your spare the heavier and harder it is to lift on your roof (and it's almost impossible to do without damaging something if you try to do it by yourself). So I blew almost $1000 for this exterior tire carrier deal called the hitchgate by the folks at Wilco who also make the tiregate. I ordered it from 4 wheel parts in December and I didn't recieve it until late February. After recieving the extension from Wilco a few weeks ago I finally found the time to put it all together. I took it to the pastures beside my parent's house to see if it would totally kill the departure angle. I did get it to rub the ground once but it wasn't even close to getting me hung up. After I got back to my house in Athens I took a few pictures with my camera phone to let you guys know what's up with it. Undoubtably I probably should have spent the $1000 on upgrading other parts of my Jeep but it's a daily driver and my only vehicle so I desperately needed the room in the back. I also put my hi-lift on it but I'm starting to worry if I'll get pulled over or if someone will hit me from behind because they can't really see my left turn signal anymore. Anyway here's the pics from my phone of my assembled hitchgate.

View from the back:

View from the back and a little to the left:

View of the extension required to actually mount the thing to my Jeep:

-nixt

P.S. The extension is only about 6" long (I actually only needed about 2" to get the thing off my bumper) and it raises the height of the hitchgate probably 4". I can't weld myself and the only other extensions I found were a minimum of 10" and with shipping they would cost the same or more as the one that Wilco made for me. I am happy that it raised the hitchgate to improve the departure angle I'm just a little disappointed at the cost and wait time of it all. By the way, I've never tried to mount that 15" spare tire onto my ZJ it's a '98 5.9 with disc brakes all around and it came with 16" wheels on it. I bought that wheel at an auto recycler for $20 to fit a 30x9.50R15 mud tire I already had. I have 32" mud tires (235/85R16)'s on it now and I thought that a 30" mud tire spare would work better than the 28" street tires it came with.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good - is there any way you can reposition your hi-lift inward a bit - that's going to hurt if you walk into it. Wink
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Finally got all the parts and time to put it together Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well- but it's actually at about waist height. I work at Lowes part time in the garden center and I know all about the pain of walking into someones trailer hitch (while you're carrying a 60 pound bag of topsoil). But after I read your post I thought that if I did move it in it would make my left (drivers side) taillight more visible which should alleviate some of my concerns about getting pulled over or someone hitting me and claiming that they couldn't see my turn signal. So I just went outside and did it I moved it in as far as I could. I took somemore pictures but it is dark outside right now so I don't know how well they'll turn out...I'll post them anyway though. By the way I checked www.NAGCA.com and they had the specs for the brakes on my 5.9 ZJ; 11.0 x 0.91 inches in front and 11.2 x 0.44 inches in the rear so I believe that the 15" spare rim I bought will fit over them with no problem.

-nixt

P.S. They offered a license plate bracket that comes equipped with a light and my Dad tells me that the way that I've got my license plate mounted now (without a light source) is illegal and I could get pulled over and ticketed for it. I don't trust myself with wiring my own electrical devices so I never mounted the light and right now I don't have the money to pay for it. Does anyone have any experience getting pulled over for not having a light on your license plate or does anyone know if it's illegal?

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plates lights are required in MA.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what your laws are (call your local PD or highway patrol to ask) but yes, here in CA you can get stopped and cited for no license plate lamp. And the jack looks much better. Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out why the tire isn't centered on the swing-out arm. Seems kinda retarded to be offset to the driver's side like that.
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Finally got all the parts and time to put it together Reply with quote

I took some better pictures at the parking lot at work today when I went to lunch. As for the license plate light issue- I called the GSP (I live in Georgia) at their local post and spoke to the Post Commander. He said that it is illegal to drive without a light over your license plate. But when I asked him how much the fine for that would be or if their would be any kind of amnesty period I could have until I could get the light professionally mounted he said (and I'm quoting him) "I have no idea how much the fine would be it would depend on the county you are in. As for the amnesty period just explain that to the officer and he should cut you some slack...but to be honest noone's going to pull you over for that shit." So I don't know if I'll get the light installed anytime soon I'll probably check around locally and see how much these local shops would charge to wire that light up- since I don't trust myself to do it. Anyway here are the new pictures I took today in the daylight.

-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better with the Jack moved over...

Very nice work...

I would personally offset the tire to the passenger side to counter the weight of the driver.. but thats not really enough weight to matter.. I think It looks OK and It prolly gives at least half a view of behind you... Ask me if its possible to see out the rear window with a 35" spare sticking up in the center.. rofl

Overall a nice job..

And for what its worth.. Louisiana has a law about license plate lights.. I think you dad is prolly right...

Something like this will work..
http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Licence-Plate-Light-2-LEDs-Black-P-N-65362_W0QQitemZ220185786247QQihZ012QQcategoryZ42613QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

You can do it yourself have some faith.. All you need is a single wire running to one side to power the bulb and run the other wire goes straight to ground..You cant go wrong...

take the Power from your factor license plate light ... Cause you sure dont need that on anymore...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a second glance at the picture I take back my comment.. You prolly still cant see out the rear window... rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: