Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

worse than i thought..

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newguy85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: worse than i thought.. Reply with quote

ok after my stupidity(4wheeling in a 2wd) i found the new control arms from quadratec, now ok i put my sport up on the lift at work and what do i find....??? on the driver side the uper control arm mounting point is twisted,bent and from what i can see will be imposible to bend stright and not have the alingment constinatly outa wack soo now i need to replace the front axel,or can i just bang it as close to stright as possible and not have a weak suspension point or tire wear issues? please help i cant find one at a pull apart within 200miles and ill probly have a heart attack if i here the dealership price. my jeep is a 1992 cherokee sport 2wd 4.0HO automatic
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh you dont need to replace the whole front end for a bent control arm....
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount is bent...not the control arm.

I'm guessing that it's the axle mount on the drivers side? It might be a good opportunity to go 4WD...but if you don't want to, you can always cut off the old weak mount and weld on a new one from someplace like Poly Performance. There are other places that sell brackets, that's just one that came to mind.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh i just re read his post, i thought he was wheeling in 2wd not in a 2wd, sorry

yea thats what i would do convert it
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a pic???

Bending and twisting the driver's side UCA axle mount is pretty damn hard as it is cast into the differential. Wait...you got a 2wd...no differential.

I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to 4wd if it were me.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you ever do bend it straight and get it close to what it was, it will always be weaker now and could bend again without much stress which could be dangerous at higher speeds. I would take it to a welding/machine shop and have them either replace the mounting arm with something new, or have them straighten and beef up the old one with some extra steel... sort of box in the stock arm.

Another redneck option is to find a 4wd front axle and just run it without a driveshaft connected. You'll suffer just a little in the gas mileage department, but maybe the 4wd fronts are easier to find than the 2wd.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way... I know you said you were messing around in the woods with your Cherokee or something. But I have to know... what exactly did you do to cause your control arms and an upper mount to crumple? Did you hit a stump going 50mph or something? Did you jump the thing 30 feet? If so, did you post the video on You Tube?
daniel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the 4x4 shops here in phx sell new ones and one you put that on you should not have to worrie about it again. On my TJ I had that happen to me and i just bent it back and went on wheeling and I would say I wheel pretty hard. You might want to check your lower mounts as well now cuzz that put some stress on those. Check the wields for cracks and shit like that. If your lowers look bad you can make those yourself. i had to redo mine on the TJ. Oh ans make sure that those stock arms are strait

If you want pics of the lower arms mount i got some just let me know
newguy85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: PICS! Reply with quote

ok i will answer the guestion as to how i broke it like this but first let me get pics tomarrow at work and ill post them up when i get home.as to how u ask?......well it involved my battery disconecting at night ,loosing my headlights, and hiting sompthing verry hard going about ohh 50ish mph. the object i hit is yet to be indentifyed but im guessing a big stump and the reason i cant find where it hit is because the lead on my battery was loose and just as fast as i lost my lights thay came back on honestly i dident know anything was wrong untill i turned off the field and on to the road.i hit the road and it was alll over the place, wobbeling going stright and steering verry weird. ok last thought when i post the pics keep in mind the jeep has been sitting in a field for about 4 years and i got it to kinda start and took her home. iv been working on this sport for a few months now and im hooked on jeep. power and ground clearence what else do u need Oh and yes i deffentaly want to go 4WD but that sounds kinda like a budget eleminator
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really the entire swap can be done relatively cheap.

hit up a local scrap yard for a 91-94 cherokee 4wd front axle (get one with the same gear ratio as your rear axle)
NP231 Transfer case - with mounting parts (crossmembers etc.)
4wd cherokee rear driveshaft
front driveshaft
linkages for t-case selector
new console from a 4wd jeep with the selector still in it

Whala, 4wd jeep.

(if anyone finds parts i didnt include please add)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
newguy85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: 4wd it is Reply with quote

ok after some searching i found a pull a part with all the parts i need but my only questions regarding a 4wd swap are, how do i tell my rear diff ratio and thay asked my about with or with out vaccume disconect does this concern me? also i tryed to take pics of my rig today but my stupid camers phone wont let me save them to a sd card so i gota barrow my buddys and ill post them asap.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want the vacuum disconnect. This is a system that slides a sleeve over a splice in the front long axle to either allow the front differential to engage or not. It is a pain to hook up if yours didn't come with it, and the plastic parts are prone to failure. This was a gimmick to try and have less wear and tear on the front drive system, but it didn't really help much. Didn't help much for gas mileage either.

Gear ratios are a bit tougher. Sometimes, if you are lucky, the metal tag will still be in place between the bolts of the diff cover, and the code lets you know what the ratio is. If not, you will have to pull the diff cover off and rotate (maybe clean) the ring gear to see the ratio that is stamped on the side. With an I6 and an automatic, you'll have either 3.55:1 or 3.73:1. But without double checking you can't know for sure.
newguy85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: quick help for pics Reply with quote

ok i got damage poics but i cant figure out how to put them on a post please help
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1495
newguy85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: PICS!! Reply with quote

ok well i cant seem to get the pics to load so to see them go to car domain and search smacker85[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: