Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy birthday to me... New Headlights!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnAll4s

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Happy birthday to me... New Headlights! Reply with quote

Well, tomorrow's my XXth birthday, so I bought myself a 6 piece set of those clear jewel type headlights with corners and turn signals for my now 16-year-old ZJ. (boy, talk about yellowing lights!) I've checked them for proper fitment but haven't fully installed them yet; I'm still waiting for my new "silver" bulbs to come in in another day or two.

Riceboy comments unnecessary. Has anybody else upgraded to these (or similar) headlights? What types of bulbs are you using (both for your main headlights and the corners)? I've considered going with the LED bulbs for the corners/signals, but didn't want to deal with installing those load resistors (not yet, at least). I ordered a pair of Xenon ultra white 45/65 bulbs, but I am curious if those are any better quality than typical 55/65 halogens. Comments?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.. where are the pics???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OnAll4s

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
Cool.. where are the pics???

Yeah, I know; I'm usually one of the first to say "thread is useless w/o pics". I'll have to wash the damn rig first, and do the obligatory before and after shots.
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely worth replacing the headlights. The stock ones are just POS. I did that project last year. I used some purple xenon headlights and put hyperwhite bulbs in the markers. I have green bulbs in the turn signal. It really cleans up the look of the front end.

OnAll4s

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

589Outlaw wrote:
It's definitely worth replacing the headlights. The stock ones are just POS. I did that project last year. I used some purple xenon headlights and put hyperwhite bulbs in the markers. I have green bulbs in the turn signal. It really cleans up the look of the front end.

Cool. I'm noticing there are a lot of headlight bulbs available for under $15 a pair. Are these usually junk or will they last as long as say, $40 bulbs?
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about all the different headlight bulbs out there. I didn't pay much for mine and they have been fine. They are 6000K and plenty bright enough. I can't imagine paying a ton of money for some will make that big a difference unless you go all the way and get a conversion kit for true HID. If you do that you are probably looking at $100+.

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice... They look awesome.. Is there a noticable improvement in the lights...

On a side note I just ordered some LED headlights for a Hummer Im working on .. Ill post a pic when I get them installed..

They should look awesome..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OnAll4s

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvement? How can there NOT be? Our ZJs are at least 10 years old; some, like mine, are 16! (purchased in 92) My original headligts are so scratched, nicked, fogged, and yellowed: the only way to achieve a decent light pattern on the road is with new lenses. Factory or Euro, any lens will make a difference as long as the beam pattern isn't polluted by scratches.
OnAll4s

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've got another question. I was out installing my new lights this evening (pics will come tomorrow, hopefully) and noticed that my turn signals are now blinking slower. They always blinked fine up until now. I "upgraded" the turn bulbs and corner bulbs to those silver coated ambers, but they should be the same rated bulbs (i.e. 1156 and 194). In 4-way mode, they flash just fine.

I suppose it's possible the new 1156s are pulling a little more of a draw. Can I fix this by simply upgrading my flasher unit?
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird...when I changed mine they started blinking a little faster. Confused
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and yes Swampy, there is much better light through the clear lenses now. It was like having a layer of tint removed when I changed them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: