Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best 2" lift option

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dallen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: best 2" lift option Reply with quote

Im looking for 2" lift for 98 sport. I kind of like the spacer and shackle deal since it appears the easiest to install and best chance of success. What brand should I try? Thanks
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best 2" lift option is the Old Man Emu lift kit. It replaces the saggy springs with a high quality set and has a great ride. But at $800, I am not even following my own advice. Since the 2" lift I have is supposed to be temporary, I went the spacer/shackle route. At the time I think it was $80 plus shipping.

As to the econo-lift, I don't think it really matters what brand you get... they are all the same. A polyurethane spacer up front and an extended shackle in the back. The only difference I have ever seen is that some have grease zerk (zert?) fittings on the shackles, other's don't. But as long as you get yours from a reputable dealer on the internet or at a store, you should be fine.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do a 3" lift for 100 bucks or so...

s-10 leaf spring packs added as an add-a-leaf for your existing springs
jeep grand cherokee up country coils with 1" spacers will add 3" in the front and 3" in the back, without the helper leaf on the rear that is, with the helper leaf you may see 4" of lift in the rear
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
okcjeeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for a spacer and shackle combo and so far I like it. I got mine from Rocky Road for $110 plus shipping. Nice feature was very solid shackles and they are greasable.

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We opted for the OME kit on the wife's XJ. No regrets here except the expense. Great ride with decent manners on/offroad.

Wink
dallen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okcjeeper, checked out the rocky road. Looks like what Im looking for. So how hard was it to install? Did you get the shock extensions or just intall spacers, shackles and blocks?
okcjeeper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dallen wrote:
okcjeeper, checked out the rocky road. Looks like what Im looking for. So how hard was it to install? Did you get the shock extensions or just intall spacers, shackles and blocks?

Well I called them and talked to them. I ordered the $110 budget set, make sure you also order the ubolts or buy longer ones locally as the stock ones are not long enough. I had to find a shop that made them as no one stocks em and everyone in town went to one place. The kits comes with 2 rear shackles assembled ( you use your existing shackle bolts so use plenty of PB Blast on em) and 1/2' blocks in the rear, then the coil spacer up front.

To get the full 2 inches in the rear you use the shackles and a 1/2" block. The read was a walk in the park once I broke the existing shackle bolts. Also grease them up well. The nice thing about these shackles are they are greasable which is nice. The one thing you will have to do with the blocks is drill the whole out to fit. Also the center bolt on the leaf pack isn't long enough. You have two options the way I see it replace the bolt with a longer one or do what I did and tack weld the blocks ( I know not the best but all I had available to me at the time)

On the front you reuse the existint coil spring isolators. What ya do is remove the coil springs( a major pain for me since it was a first time for me) then remove the factory isolator pad (it's the black rubber pad at the top of the coil spring) then put the poly spacer from rocky road on then put the isolator pad back on and then install the springs back in..

That's basically it with out all the little details.

This site has a really nice writeup about the install of this kit...
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjbb.html

Hope that helps.
dallen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info. New to the site as well so the build link was exactly what I need.
dallen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the lift in the mail today. Now to get it on and post a pic
okcjeeper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which lift did you end up going with?
Gearhead41987

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go cheap, just put coil springs in the front, out of a 1971-1979 Ford F100 pickup truck. And Advanced Auto Parts sells 3" blocks for the rear that will bolt right up (you just have to trim the alignment stud with a grinder, to make it a little smaller.) The ford springs just a little stiffer but I think it evened everything out. I just spent all day on some pretty intense trails yesterday and it handled great. I'm running 31x10,50s and my new shocks haven't even arrived yet. Shocks were $130.00 on ebay, the springs were $20.00 from the junk yard, and the blocks were $28.00'

178 bucks isn't bad for 3". And it still drives smoothly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: