Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie needs help with 4.0 H.O. engine noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gearhead41987

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Newbie needs help with 4.0 H.O. engine noise Reply with quote

Sup everybody.

I've been a service mechanic for years, and I tinker with motors on the side, and I Just bought my first XJ, It's a 1996 cherokee sport. It has 158k on it, and I've had it for about 1000 miles, and it runs GREAT. Two days ago, it started making a noise that sounds like either a rod is knocking, the flywheel is cracked/loose and shaking back and forth, or the torque converter is loose. The oil is clean, and it starts perfectly.

Here's the wierd thing.

If I let it sit and idle, the noise continues. If I rev the engine up to about 2500rpm it speeds up. Doesn't get louder, just faster.

If I put it in drive, and drive off (I drive gently) after about 100 yarts, it almost goes completely away.

If you stop, and roll the window down, or get out of the jeep, you can just barely hear the noise, but it really sounds perfectly normal.

If I turn it off, and crank it immedeatly, it does not make the noise. If I let it sit for 5 minutes then crank it, it starts the whole process over again.
I'm changing the oil in it tonight and putting 10w-30 in it.
Has anybody seen this before?
And how hard is it to check the flywheel/torque converter bolts?

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions!
srinde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 88 4.0 with an auto is doing the same thing. I am thinking flywheel-flex plate. I just noticed today that it stops if I put it in gear and hold the brake. I posted a question in the tech section under drivetrain so maybe we'll both get an answer. There is an inspection cover on the bottom front of the bell housing you take off to get at the bolts for the flywheel. The wife took mine to work so I have to wait till later to find out if that's it. Would be a relief, as I have been thinking for around a month that it was in the engine.
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a rocker arm as well. I had a 93 XJ that made a similar noise and symptoms that turned out to be the rocker arm (after I sold it, not wanting to sink more money into another heep). Neutral
Gearhead41987

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I [/i]think it's coming from between the trans and the engine block. I haven't had a chance to really get under there and check it out. If it were the flywheel or flexplate, are there any tricks to getting the tranny out of a cherokee?
Gearhead41987

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I fixed my problem.
Not entirely sure what it was, but it's fixed.
I was driving down the highway on the way home, and it had stopped it's knocking by then, and I was driving past a very long, steep hill with a trail up it, so I pulled in, put it in 4Lo and went right up without so much as a squeak from the drivetrain.

Now it's gone. I doesn't do it when I crank it up in the morning, or when I leave work.
Anyway, thanks for the help!
Gearhead41987

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: BAD NEWS!!! Reply with quote

Well, it ran perfectly for two days, without a sound, and yesterday when I was driving down the highway, it threw a rod through the oil pan. number 6 cylinder. Never knocked, or rattled, it just went.
Craziest thing I've ever seen.
okcjeeper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch that stinks..Looks like you are in the same boat as I am and will be either putting in a new motor or rebuilding one..
Gearhead41987

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that I bought it from is paying for half of the replacement of a used motor...
okcjeeper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I was that lucky..I have had mine long enough that I doubt he'd even be willing to do anything..Anyways I have my motor on order and set it to be delivered the end of april..School is over May 8 and that weekend I plan to do the swap...I will be doing mine myself so it should be interesting...I will have some help but most of it I plan to do myself since I gotta learn sometime..Smile
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its basically 30 bolts , a couple wires , just mark stuff with tape . weekend project .
Gearhead41987

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it would be too bad....
Hoping to have it out this week.
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Past Posts
Pulling my engine and need help
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=73871&highlight=#73871

Motor puling hook up points Forgot who posted this info.
I think it was Brad the Best.

When Pulling 4.0L Engines where is the motor puling hook up points? On the right hand side of the valve cover at the front and back are two larger bolts (I think m14 or something)[mine are 16mm OD nuts on 88XJ] just put a chain link over it and a [Metric] nut. Thatís what I have done all 4 times I have pulled an XJ 4.0.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: