Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JK rubicon axel swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: JK rubicon axel swap Reply with quote

I have a 07 jk x and have installed a new rubicon 44 with e lockers. Has anyone done this conversion and do you have any suggestions for wiring it up? A wire diagram or website with instructions would help I haven't found anything yet, but I know it is being done.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many wires do you have coming from the locker? There's probably at least two...one is likely the ground and the other is likely 12V+. Others may be sensor wires that tie into the computer to tell the computer if the locker is locked or unlocked.
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I got that much I was looking for some info from someone who has done this before. Need to know things like do you use a relay or not what size fuse should be used. All that technical stuff.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep_addict wrote:
Ya I got that much I was looking for some info from someone who has done this before. Need to know things like do you use a relay or not what size fuse should be used. All that technical stuff.

Perhaps you should have asked that the first time around? We can't read your mind and figure out exactly what information you're looking for.

I'd find a factory wiring diagram. It will have the wire sizes and the fuse ratings for those circuits, as well as if there is a relay as part of the circuit. The diagrams will be in the Factory Service Manual that you can purchase from the dealer or a variety of sites on the net.

I can't imagine the locker has that much of a power demand. A 15amp fuse with 12g or even 14g wiring and an appropriately sized relay should be more than adequate.

BTW, how many wires are there? You never answered the question.
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post "A wire diagram or website with instructions" Not sure what wasn't clear. If you must know it has 2 wires. I do know one is hot and one is ground. I appreciate your help but I was looking for some help from someone who had some experience with this.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep_addict wrote:
My first post "A wire diagram or website with instructions" Not sure what wasn't clear. If you must know it has 2 wires. I do know one is hot and one is ground. I appreciate your help but I was looking for some help from someone who had some experience with this.

Since it has 2 wires, it's really easy to figure it out yourself and wire this up. You don't need a diagram or a writeup.

I'm assuming you have pigtails coming off the lockers or axle housing? What size wire are those? Whatever they are, get something of the same gauge or slightly larger. Install the relay as it is a safer way of wiring up the lockers.
You won't risk burning up the switch with a relay. The hardest part will be determining which wire is what coming off the locker.

Wire it up and do your own writeup for anyone else that runs into this and has the same question.

BTW, I have had experience with automotive wiring. For the sake of an example...wiring up your locker is not much different than wiring a set of 55W fog lights if you've ever done that.
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know all about wiring too. But from what I understand about the JK lockers they are a bit more involved that a set of fog lamps. Still not sure if a relay is needed. The factory pig tails have about 20 gauge wire, if that, can't be much more than a 5 to 10 amp circuit at best. I would like to still use the switch in the diff to turn on the light.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep_addict wrote:
I would like to still use the switch in the diff to turn on the light.

Shouldn't there be more than 2 wire then if there is a signal to the dash that the locker is engaged? Either your missing a wire or the locker grounds through the axle.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My X came optioned with the rear locker, so I can't speak for myself, but most of the people I've read that did it either had a shop do it Rolling Eyes or just used the OEM harness and switch set. The parts are listed in 4Wheel Drive Hardware's catalog, but I couldn't find them on the website to link for ya. The part #'s are...

OEM Switch Panel= #0402508AE $28.99
OEM Wiring Harness= #56055357AF $119.00

You'll have to call them to confirm the parts I guess, but that setup will be plug and play. Only other thing necessary is to get the dealer to flash the computer so the dash icons work appropriately. I've seen a couple people that hard wired them too, but there was no real write up or diagrams provided...just kinda a 'yeah, I did it' explanation.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popped in on a forum I haven't cruised in a bit and found some info that might be helpful. Read up on John L's posts in them...

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Jeep_addict wrote:
I would like to still use the switch in the diff to turn on the light.

Shouldn't there be more than 2 wire then if there is a signal to the dash that the locker is engaged? Either your missing a wire or the locker grounds through the axle.

...or from drack's posts...it appears there are 2 pairs of wires coming from the differential.
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a separate switch that turns the light on.
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links they were just what I needed. Link 2 was the wiring diagram for stock. From there I can make it work without messing with the computer.
DZNTS

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep_Addict how did you get the Rubi axles? I went to parts department of my local dealership and they cant even find them in the catalogue. I found a rear axle on ebay for $1700 usd, but can't seem to find the front. I really wish I had added the locking axle option when I ordered it. To those of you with Rubi's do the factory lockers work well or have you replaced them with Detroit or ARB lockers?
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We purchased them from the local dealer. But you can order them through Quadratec for under $2k The part number in the Q-tec catalog is a mopar number so you can just take that to the dealer.

Wiring is simple to do and there is no need for relays. I will post a wiring diagram soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> JK Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: