Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cant fix my jeep's overheating problem???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
travisinsincity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: cant fix my jeep's overheating problem??? Reply with quote

I have a 1990 cherokee, inline 6 cyl. All of a sudden my jeep temp shoots up past 250 degrees in less than a minute. Now it will do the same from stone cold to overheating within three miles of my house. I have changed everything in the cooling system and checked everything I can think of-radiator, cap thermostat, all hoses, fans, water pump, etc is all new. I have drained and flushed the system twice. Now I am at a loss. The system is not leaking or losing water. Any ideas or suggestions would help out a ton..

Travis
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the new thermostat, Take it in the house and find a OLD POT [Antifreeze is not good for you] go to a thrift store and by one if need be. Fill with water, place new thermostat in OLD POT on stove and bring water to a boil. Look and see if thermostat has opened all the way. I hade this same problem one time my new thermostat out of the box was no good either, it would not open at all. I can relate to your frustration. Hope this your easy fix, From DJ.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you replaced the hoses, did the lower hose come with a "spring" coiled in it? If not did you removed the spring from the old hose and put it in the new one? Without it, the lower hose can pinch itself closed, blocking coolant flow.

Just a thought...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
travisinsincity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. As for the thermostat, I already checked it to make sure it worked. Also ran it with thermostat completely out and had the same result. And the bottom hose does have a spring it also, but very good point. Thanks again for the suggestions. I am heading back out to check the compression on each cylinder. I am just guessing now.
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Overheating XJ Reply with quote

I do believe you have the closed system. That is your first problem.
The water doesnt flow well in that system. Your radiator is probably clogged. Dont have it cored just repalce it with an open system radiator, and also replace the heater control valve from a 1991 XJ. You may need some hoses for the heater control. The heater control isnt a nessicity.
I had overhaeting issues until I went to a open system with an electric fan.
I dont worry anymore. Good luck.
1991 Cherokee Limited
travisinsincity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a closed system but the radiator is only six months old. I have flushed it and the flow is just fine. However, maybe I will go to an open system sometime soon. Thanks for your input.
gopher383

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have aftermarket lights in front of the grill take them off. The lights put excess heat in the air that is gets pulled in the intake, they also block the air flow causing the overheating issue.
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible Fix
Bleeding air from the closed loop cooling system
By 88WOWJ
Jeep Horizon 12 Aug 2006
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9196&highlight=

Did this problem come on after work was done if so what work?
If not was it a gradual increasing problem or just bang it happened?
travisinsincity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an all of a sudden thing... Happened once before, but only for a second. Then it didn't overheat again until now. But now it does it every time I try to go anywhere... No work was done prior...
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for Travis?
1: What is the mileage on your XJ?
2: You posted “Happened once before, but only for a second” Therefore I must ask the obvious question is your engine really getting hot or could there be a temp gage malfunction?

Question for all?
What is the recommended mileage for replacement of the timing gear and chain?
Swiftek

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: How to bleed 6 cyl coolant, thermo, elec fans... Reply with quote

Hey ya'all. I'm new here.

I was also having probs keeping my XJ's inline 6 from overheating (sometimes). I replaced everything, veryfied good flow, etc. After learning how to get all the air out of it, it stays nice and cool now.

Here's what I've learned over the 5+ years of owning my XJ.

The system will only purge air properly when the heater control valve is open and is allowing coolant to flow thru the heater core. This is because the line that goes from the heater bypass line to the resevoir is very tiny inside and is meant to only allow air to pass thru it. If there is no flow thru the heater, then any air trapped in the water jackets or radiator lines cannot get to the resevoir to be expelled.

So, anytime you are filling or checking the coolant level, keep the heater on hot and blowing. On my 1989 XJ, the top control must be on vent or heat and the temp must be past halfway to the hot side.

On a related note, my XJ hates not having a thermostat. Here in Florida, some shade-tree mechs will remove the thermo thinking that the more flow the better. In this case, that isn't so. Without a thermo, the coolant flows thru the radiator too quickly to be cooled by it. Once I put one in (prev owner had removed), the temp stabilized at a much cooler point.

I also replaced the mechanical radiator fan with a second electric one. I put them both on a relay and strapped a thermostat for the fans to the lower radiator hose. This arrangement has improved milage, silenced the loud roar of the mech fan, and now my Jeep stays cool in heavy traffic too. Smile

I hope this helps someone. Cheers!

'89 Cherokee Pioneer "4x4x4"
(4WD, 4Liter, 4Door)
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisinsincity wrote:
It was an all of a sudden thing... Happened once before, but only for a second. Then it didn't overheat again until now. But now it does it every time I try to go anywhere... No work was done prior...

Possible stupid question from a Jeep newbie (but been playin with Mopars for 30 years...) but are you SURE its really overheating and you don't just have a bad gauge sender that tells the gauge to peg at what is actually a normal temperature?

Also possibly a chafed wire leading to the sender that is shorting to ground and pegging the gauge.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisinsincity

Any luck yet with your coolant system? Sure it is all bled out completely?

Are both fans working correctly? Mechanical and Electric one?

Water pump?

When you replaced Radiator was remaining cooling system flushed?

Sure you didn't dislodge a bunch of stuff only to reclog new radiator?

Plenty of oil?

Just random thoughts about your overheating - let us know what you found!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Swiftek

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I replaced my OEM water pump on my 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder. The reason I did was because I noticed very little pressure/flow from the pump at idle. The new standard pump is no better.

My conclusion: The 4.0 liter inline 6 does not like to sit idling for long periods. The standard duty water pump just does not move enough water to keep the rig cool. Even a slight tap on the throttle every minute or so will keep it perfectly cool, but if you let it alone, it will over heat.

Perhaps somebody here knows of an alternative to the OEM pump? I've thought about an electric one, but know very little about their pros and cons. Anybody got any known examples of electric and/or secondary water pumps?

'89 Cherokee Pioneer "4x4x4"
(4WD, 4Liter, 4Door)
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edit] Sorry, I just read your post more closely and you were asking about electric or secondary pumps... Oh well, this might help you anyway[/edit]

The best one is made by Hesco.

http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=cat&catID=7967

It has a unique impeller design compared to other after market high-flow pumps. I have one on my jeep and it doesn't seem to make much difference at highway speeds with a loaded down Jeep, but I've never had any problems letting it idle for long periods.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: