Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

making my own goodies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffinwa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: making my own goodies Reply with quote

I am new to the zj's, but have done a bit of metal fab work. Im looking at making some goodies for my 93 jgc. Is there plans online someplace?
I was looking at Kevinsoffroad.com and I like his stuff but am to poor to afford to buy it. I work at a metal fab shop and can get the material, and have it powder coated when I'm done. I like the radiator support and think something similar would be eazy to start with. mabey rocker guards, and a roof rack on the tube bender, and............... you get the picture.

So does anyone have plans or know where to get any? Pretty much any thing I have a drawing for I could make. I can get lots of help at work from some real profesionals, I'm no good at blue prints though.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Cardboard to make templates of what I needed .. (radiator support with tow hook mounts .. I later turned into mounting points for my bumper..)

As far as rockers go.. they are very simple to make.. I can get pics of mine on Friday when I get home and post them up.. Its 2X4 tubing with some 1X2 for frame outriggers and some 3X3 angle for mounting and a strip of 1X1 angle for flange mounts...

Good welder with the material could make them in about an hour...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of tow hooks; I was searching for ZJ information, as I may be about to buy one, when I came across this: http://www.eriejeeppeople.com/ejpforums/index.php?showtopic=1264

It seems almost to simple to be true. What do our resident experts think, is this a strong enough mounting point?

<rant>On a side note, it continues to flabberghast me that JEEP, who are supposed to be amongst the worlds leaders in off-road vehicles, produce (otherwise very capable) vehicles that do not have front tow points as standard. I mean, even the smallest of passenger vehicles at least have a towing eye that can be screwed in when neccessary. Oh well, at least it can be fixed. </rant>

--
Regards,
Kári
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used that location to install my hooks. I have used them time and time again with no problems at all. I didn't drill anything out, just used the original rear bolt and welded the front of the hook to the Jeep! I've had them installed for a few years. I actually used some stock Rubicon tow hooks that a buddy removed from his TJ. Was planning on drilling out the front hole, but it has worked fine for me the way I did it. The welds are a bit sloppy but I was learning at the time. Oh, I didn't have to trim the bumper because I had already chopped it in half!

Hook being used!

DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone got pics of thier radiator mount??
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some pics of mine.. I am loading them now..

Of course mine is something I made as an add-on to my winch bumper..
But there are pics just the same.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the pictures uploaded.. They are very craptacular.. I cant get a good shot cause there is to much mud and crap on my Jeep.. Mr. Green

I used 2 X2 angle and welded it between two pieces of 3 inch flat bar that run across from the bumper to the skid plate.. I think that picture looks ok.

Tow hook .. Angle is visible in this picture.

And here is the flat bar to the skid plate that secondary brace for winch bumper.

in this picture you can see the 4 bolts that are the factory tow hook mount.. (over the flat bar covered with mud but they are there..)

And finally you can see the 3/16 3/4x3/4 angle that I used to connect the lower bumper to the front skid .. those are braces for a expanded metal skid that I cant seem to find right now.. It goes from the bumper to the skid and bolts to the angles . I dont know where the hell it is.. LOL...
But it protects the bottom of the radiator .. also

and side view..

If you look close you can see the 2x2 angle in this pic as well.. I also welded the base of my winch plate to that ... The whole thing will unbolt.. Thats why I did it that way.. I can take the whole bumper off.. (with about 18 bolts.. )

doubt that helps but there you have it..

Somewhere I have pics of the bumper build and mounts without any rust or mudd.. I will try to find those . Its alot easier to see the whole thing without mud or rust.. rofl

(I would suggest you paint your welds.. Or they will rust.. rofl rofl

Oh yeah. those are old welds done with a stick machine I have a nice mig machine now.. So my new welds get much less rust.. Mr. Green rofl rofl

Edit.. I just went back out and counted . There are 16 bolts not 18... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: