Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stange knocking noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Stange knocking noise Reply with quote

Ok, I have a strange knocking sound coming from the front somewhere. I could accelerate without the knocking but then when I would coast it would knock at different speeds depending on how fast I was going. It sounded like it was coming from the front right side although the driveshaft u-joints and front axle u-joints all looked ok. It doesn't seem to be the engine as in neutral I can rev it no problem and all the gauges are in the green. Knocking seemed to get worse after a little while but I had to get home.

A little background is that the 249 has been dying for 2 years so I thought that could be it, but when I put the tcase in neutral the knocking noise persisted. It was raining and my front left tire has quite a bit more wear than my front right or rear tires, needs to be aligned. Even after I put on another matching tire with a good bit of wear the knocking continued. My front differential has been leaking a bit of fluid and I just have not had the time to get it fixed.

My question: could the dying tcase have sent a lot of power forward at some point on a slick piece of road and then toasted the differential because the two tires aren't of the same exact diameter? They're both 31x10.5s but like I said one has a lot more wear on it than the other. I was not driving wild at all so I wasn't dishing out any undo punishment. Could the 249 finally be kicking the bucket? Or do you guys know of any other thing that could be going on with it?

This is pretty much the worst possible time for anything to happen like this so I could really use any help you guys have.

Thanks in advance.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my first thought is axle joints, but you said you have a 249. If it has a 249, it should have cv axles. I'm confused, you said the axle u-joints looked okay?
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the front driveshaft has two different types of setups going on. The driveshaft to front differential has a single u-joint and the driveshaft to tcase is a cv joint but it looks a lot like these toyota cv joints

I didn't check the rear because things felt fine back there. Sorry for the confusion. Does anybody know what a busted cv joint in the front axle to the wheels sounds like?

The front axle has cv joints on either side going to the tires. It was about 10:30 at night when I was looking at it with a flashlight so I probably didn't get a good look at the cv joints on the tcase so I will take another quick look tomorrow before I go to work.

The part thats killing me is that it knocked only when coasting. Under power or braking things were smooth, with maybe only slight knocking. The knocking would also sometimes die down when making a tight turn.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pick of what my front drive shaft basically looks like joint wise, just a whole lot longer.

And sorry fo the long posts guys but I want to get you as much information as possible to help me figure this out.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front drive shaft uses u-joints. The cv joints are only on the axle shafts that turn the tires (for your 94 jeep). If your cv joints were going bad, you would here a grinding/popping sound while turning. It sounds like your having the same problem I'm having. Mine has been doing the same thing for about 5 months now. I removed my front axle to see if the sound would disappear and it did. I just haven't had time to go further with it. If you know how to rebuild the u-joints, I would do that first. If not, try to find a used axle at a salvage yard (70-80$). Either way, keep us posted on your outcome.
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually just about to go drop out the front drive shaft and see what happens. If the sound goes away I will then have to avenues to explore. One is bad joints in the drive shaft and the second would be that the tires are just so worn up front that its causing the front tires to skip. I've heard of this before when someone had two different types of tires, one brand up front and one brand in the rear. Although they were rated the same size they were off by a little bit so the guy ended up frying his differential, twice.

Hopefully thats whats wrong, either way I need to change my pinion seal anyway so I'm going to check the differential while I'm down there. I'll let you guys know what I find.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the cv centering yoke, it's in the middle of the double cardan joint. It needs to be greased occasionally or it dries out and causes problems. It's not the easiest to get at, but if the front shaft is off, it's prime time to lube the yoke. Even if it isn't the cause of the noise. Some of the joints have holes bored in them for lubing them yoke, some do not. You can see the big holes in the sides of the ones Viper posted.
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess might do a little pm while I'm down there. Who knows maybe it needs a little bit of grease. My dad told me of a time when he was in the navy where the destroyer he was on was dead in the water because of a horrible knocking noise. After hours of them trying different things someone looked at a grease fitting and said: "whats that?" So they greased it on up and were back underway. Funny how such a small thing can cause such problems.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after spending an hour and change running around trying to find a way to get the rounded nuts off my driveshaft off, 50 some dollars for tools, and then various words of extreme hate I got the driveshaft off. Drove the jeep and the knocking was still there. Now amazingly pissed off I lifted the front end to start to take it apart. Thats when I noticed my front left tire was wobbly. I thought: great how does a hub go bad in less than 2000 miles. Well after a closer inspection I had 3 loose lug nuts. I tightened them and went for a drive an everything was ok.

Moral of the story: check the easiest stuff first! jo
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper24242 wrote:
Well after a closer inspection I had 3 loose lug nuts.

LMFAO!!!

rofl rofl rofl

Who tightened them last? Mr. Green
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was me. In my defense I was changing my break pads and since it didn't stop raining till late in the afternoon and it was the only time I had for then next week or two and it was dark, I was pissed because it was dark and the pads wouldn't seat right. So I probably just didn't tighten them enough. As embarrassing as it is I wanted to let it be known what happened in case other people encounter this problem and don't think about checking lug nuts. I don't mind saying I did something stupid, I'm not all that proud.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way orange, if you find a real gun like the one in your avatar you'll let me know right?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: