Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.5 ignition timing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark simms

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: 2.5 ignition timing Reply with quote

how do you adjust the timing on a 95 2.5. I have a hesitation when accelerating and a very rich smelling exhaust. The motor has plenty of power for a 4 banger. Handles the interstate just fine. Stock tires/suspension. I have replaced the plugs, wire, rotor, cap and O2 sensor. I am new to the jeep thing and lovin it.
alf50990

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't adjust the timing on the 95 model. It is controlled by the PCM/ ECM (Powertrain or Engine Control Module). Paste the weblink below into your browser to learn more.

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1f/dd/c8/0900823d801fddc8/repairInfoPages.htm

Regards and good luck,
Alf50990
alf50990

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing that might help you diagnose the problem, is to see if you have any error codes. On the 95 you can access the codes by turning the ignition from 'off' to 'on' three times leaving it in the 'on' position the third time. If you have any errors the check engine light will flash X number of times followed by a short delay and then a second series of flashes. For example 5 flashes followed by a short delay followed by 2 more flashes (error code 52) would be your "oxygen sensor - rich condition". If other errors exist then you would get another set of flashes. When the error strings are completed you will get a code 55 (End of Code output). At that point you can turn off your ignition. To see all the error codes paste the following link (from elsewherre in this site) into your browser.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/yj_codes.html

Alf50990
Mark simms

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input, someone told me you could adjust it by turning the dist. I didnt think that was correct. To bad the water pump left me on the side of a backroad lastnight and the cell phone was dead. Guess that is just part of the jeep experience. Talk to you all later when I start the lift.
Mark simms

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more stupid question. I have not tried the code thing yet cause I am suck at work, but If I get the "52" read back to me for the O2 rich, does that mean I need to replace the O2 again or could it be something else. I have been thinking about the rich smell and could it be the coil not sending enough spark to the plugs. I guess I just need to get me a scan tool. Is there one you all prefer that wont break the bank. Hope you all can help. Till then keep trailin
alf50990

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the code 52 thing just yet, remember it was just an example. Try to read the codes to see if you have any first and then go from there... As for the coil being bad, you can ohm it out to see if it is within factory specs. If you connect an ohm meter between the two leads on the wiring plug side of the coil you should get about 1 ohm. Then connect from either one of those leads to the coil wire output of the coil (the coil wire to the distributor). You should read about 10K ohms. I would guess your coil is okay.

On the 95's a lot of electronics sensors are connected to make them a challenge to diagnose. The crankshaft sensor , cam sensor and throttle position sensor. If any of these go bad or start to go bad a variety of symptoms/problems can be displayed.

Alf
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: