Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thumping Brake Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Jeepster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Thumping Brake Issue Reply with quote

Hi, My 1994 XJ has developed a odd thumping noise from the rear brakes every time I brake. The brake pedal does not pulsate during braking, nor does it travel to the floor with little resistance, it's just as it should be.
I've had both rear wheels and drums off and can see no scoring or other obvious problems and it passed it's MOT check without any problems.
It had new drums, new shoes and a new rear master cylinder a while ago (these were not Jeep parts but pattern ones)
It does have ABS and I'm wondering if the sensor is on its way out.
Someone told me it could be the rear diff and I know the seals are gone as it leaks every time I top it up, but am not so sure about this.
Anyone? Thanks.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it one thump each time you hit the brakes or is it continuous?
The Jeepster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuous, slow and steady, until I stop braking. I can sometimes feel it through the car but never on the brake pedal.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was doing that coming to a stop. It would start around 20mph and down. It slowed as the car slowed. Sounded like something hitting on each revolution of the drum. I looked in there multiple times and never found anything. I even tried using the e-brake to see if it would make the noise but it only did it with the pedal. It has since stopped and I think it stopped after I took the lip off the inside of the drum.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
The Jeepster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have something there. The new drums have a machined line inside, I bet the damm things are getting brake dust in them.
The Jeepster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not connected but has anyone heard of this "LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL ANTI FRICTION ADDITIVE". A mate has put it in his Jeep diff to stop noise, he say's I should give it a try. I'm a bit sceptical myself.
dancerman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '99 does the rear brake thump every few months then goes away. I have 90k miles and has original rear brakes. I have looked inside the drum but saw nothing unusual. My daughter has an '01 Hyundai that does the same thing on occassion. I just ignore it.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeepster wrote:
It's probably not connected but has anyone heard of this "LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL ANTI FRICTION ADDITIVE". A mate has put it in his Jeep diff to stop noise, he say's I should give it a try. I'm a bit sceptical myself.

the lubricity additive is for a limited slip differential , yours all ready has it in there if you have a limited slip differential , it will say add limited slip modifier on a tag on the diff if you do .

its probably your drums , they can get out of round easily . i would replace shoe's and drums personally .
The Jeepster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's probably all gone then 'cause the seals have gone on the diff and I have to top it up every couple of months.
I'd be abit pi*&^ed if it is the drums as it had brand new drums two years ago. I can't hear any dragging when it's jacked up and I spin the rear wheels and there's no uneven wear on the shoes.
What ever it is it will have to been added to the list! Thats pushed the refurb of the alloys down even further Rolling Eyes
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeepster wrote:
I'd be abit pi*&^ed if it is the drums as it had brand new drums two years ago.

If all the brake work was done 2 years ago, it wouldn't still be new. These things don't last forever!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeepster wrote:
Thanks. It's probably all gone then 'cause the seals have gone on the diff and I have to top it up every couple of months.
I'd be abit pi*&^ed if it is the drums as it had brand new drums two years ago. I can't hear any dragging when it's jacked up and I spin the rear wheels and there's no uneven wear on the shoes.
What ever it is it will have to been added to the list! Thats pushed the refurb of the alloys down even further Rolling Eyes

if you blew a wheel seal your shoes are wrecked , brake components are made of melted down Cadillacs that were melted down to hondas and then melted down to brake shoes . i have warped or gouged rotors in a couple months , two years is pretty normal for a off road vehicle . it only takes two minutes to destroy your brakes , just need the right circumstances .
The Jeepster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake drums were cast iron (not jeep parts but british pattern ones) I checked the brake shoes last week and they are fine- there's no fluid on any thing in there. Since the LPG conversion she never goes off roading, we done nothing but gentle road driving - why I can hear you ask! Well you just wouldn't want to risk damaging a pressurized 65 litre LPG tank, they can stand alot of things but no some of the things you guys get up to. (nice photos by the way)

Have just gone under there again I'm putting my money on a worn axle seal thats causing noise in the diff housing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: