Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U-joints and wheel bearings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: U-joints and wheel bearings Reply with quote

Hello, it appears I have a front wheel bearing going bad on my 99 Cherokee. Standard bearing noises. I'm thinking of doing both at the same time and also the u-joints in the front axle. Hopefully if I do this I won't have to go back in for many moons. My question is about what/where to buy them if there are any opinions. I've searched through some threads and it looks like 5-760X are the better U-joints to buy. Will this one fit and are thoughts on where to buy this all including the wheel bearing assembly? Also, are any of these u-joints lubable? I don't see any zerks on pictures I have seen and I know the ones in it do not have them. Thanks.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Rockauto I see this one for a u-joint. I like being able to grease these. 280 {U Joint - Greaseable Super-Strength}

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just go to a parts store and look and ask for greasable u-joints . were else would you go?
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like stuff delivered to my door :-) Usually they end up being the correct parts and am never told "I only have 1, I can order the other one for next week". I hate that.

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never had something delivered to my door , i like to take the part to the parts store and match it to what they have .

i do hear what you are saying though , even though parts person is a tradesman job , very few are tradesman making 34$/hr . most are just kids making 8$/hr
adamzski

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you know its not just the wheel bearing, its the whole hub, and yea, i personally would do it all while i was in there, although it won't be cheap. if the wheel joints are greasable they usually have the needle style zerk because a regular one won't fit cause its kinda tight in there. if you get a good quality joint without a zerk, its not a bad idea because those are actually stronger because there isnt a hole drilled in them for the zerk.
Mud Terrains
Jet performance chip
K&N Intake
Flowmaster exhaust
Custom wheels
Locked Diffs
Kenwood head, infinity speaks, pioneer subs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: