Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about a trade: INPUT PLEASE!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick6f6

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Thinking about a trade: INPUT PLEASE!!! Reply with quote

I saw an '82 CJ-8 scrambler for sale on Ebay and i asked the guy if he would trade for my '98 tj.

I was really excited about the trade, but now it seems too good to be true. The CJ would have to be a daily driver, it has a 383 stroker motor and 37 inch tires. But it also has a Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 front, both with lockers.

My Tj has 35's, inline six stock gears, the thing I would be most worried about is reliability and gas mileage. If anybody has any input please let it be known THanks
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me sounds like a deal, how rare CJ-8's are, personly I'd love an 8, I wouldn't trade my TJ though. But you got ask How many miles are on the motor? Who built the motor? basic type stuff. A buddy of mine has a 83 CJ-5 with the I-6 (I know there nothing alike, but) And the best thing he did for reliability was installing the howell fuel injection unit, if it does'nt have it already you should consider getting F.I. for the 383

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
nick6f6

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, the current owners say it was built at an off road shop. How much do you think I could expect to pay for the F.I. upgrade? I knew I was going to have to change to fuel injection if i wanted to use it everyday any way, but you think howell is the best maker for this upgrade?
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust on the 8's frame and body?
nick6f6

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they say the frame was cleaned and painted when it was built wich was apperently not long ago, the pictures i saw of the fram seem to be pretty clean and the body has a spray-in liner on the inside
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threre are many types of EFI units for the sb chevy, a lot depends on how the motor was built. 400-425hp is kind of a deciding point on what type of EFI the motor needs. The howell would work well on a motor that has little to no modifications, If it has 400+ hp you might want a Edlebrock or similar unit. price also depends on the motor. The Howell cost my buddy about $1200. and he installed it him self in a weekend very user freindly. The Edelbrock system costs about $2500, I dont know that has installed it but I hear it's about the same as the Howell

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
nick6f6

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have much knowledge of carbeurated motors (since the 4.0 isn't). I'm hoping to get these people to cover the difference in value between my jeep and theirs (not counting on it). I'll eithe do the F.I. upgrade or swap in a more mild motor. On the plus side, it does have an automatic turbo 350 transmission. what are your opinions on that?
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I lost my mind, or did someone delete my post in this thread.......?

Nope, now I see..........a double post here and in the CJ Forum. I have locked the CJ thread.......carry on.
majikxms

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked yourself the right question, "Is it to good to be true."

Is the $5000 or so that your 98 is worth equal to what the 82 is worth. If it is then go for it.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you know about small block chevy's, but I'd keep the 383, unless it doesn't run. A 383ci is a stroked 350ci meaning is's a 350ci block with a 400 crank and rods. This engine combo makes a lot of torque witch is very good for wheelin', and it's not uncommon for the torque number to be higher than the horsepower with these engines. Also stroker motors tend to be more reliable than the higher reving 350ci motor simply because...well...they don't rev very high (5500rpm is about the max). Another thing is, engine builders and the aftermarket have known of the 383 for years so there's a lot of support for it.
Just a few years ago, chevy finelly recognized the 383 and started producing it so anyone can buy it from any dealer with a warranty.

Engines with EFI tend to make more torque that a carb motor, so adding FI to the 383 can bring up the torque even higher.
The Howell FI might not have enough flow rate to support the 383 and you can't adjust anything it's a stock replacement unit, again depending on the horsepower it has, I'd go with the Accel DFI or Edlebrock depending on how much you are willing to spend, Edlebrock unit being more user freindly, and both of them are adjustable with a laptop or with there own controller unit.

Good luck with your desicison....

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
trev0006
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about a trade: INPUT PLEASE!!! Reply with quote

82 CJ might have lots of rust, check for that.

nick6f6 wrote:
I saw an '82 CJ-8 scrambler for sale on Ebay and i asked the guy if he would trade for my '98 tj.

I was really excited about the trade, but now it seems too good to be true. The CJ would have to be a daily driver, it has a 383 stroker motor [URL=SPAM/]cars[/URL] and 37 inch tires. But it also has a Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 front, both with lockers.

My Tj has 35's, inline six stock gears, the thing I would be most worried about is reliability and [URL=SPAM/]tires[/URL] gas mileage. If anybody has any input please let it be known THanks
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick6f6 wrote:
I dont have much knowledge of carbeurated motors (since the 4.0 isn't). I'm hoping to get these people to cover the difference in value between my jeep and theirs (not counting on it). I'll eithe do the F.I. upgrade or swap in a more mild motor. On the plus side, it does have an automatic turbo 350 transmission. what are your opinions on that?

A TH350 is a very good trans, they are light, you won't lose a bunch of hp turning the internals, they have good strength in factory form, but can be built to withstand about 600hp, again, lots of aftermarket support with this trans in case something ugly happens.
If it doesn't already have one, buy a trans cooler, I'd buy the largest cooler I can fit. this will help with trans reliability, especially when going up steep areas where the torque converter will create a lot of heat.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: