Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

air intake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: air intake Reply with quote

hey all im thinking about doing something to my engine for a little bit more HP and torque and found a couple of different things but was wondering if anyone prefers one over the other

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17008_102_07.htm

vs

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17008_001.htm

thanks for the input!
39.5x16.50R16 pitbull rocker extremes
Homemade Bumpers and rock sliders
check us out at www.tucsonoffroad.net
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money..........they will add little to nothing, and if they do, it will most likely be added at higher rpm rather than the low rpm you need with a Jeep.

Add up all the money you would spend on:

Fancy air intake
larger throttle body
throttle body spacer
high flow exhaust

Now take that money and put it in the bank and save some more until you have enough for GEARS!

Gears are the best bang for the buck.

FWIW
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. They will make a lot more noise, which will make it seem like they are doing something, but there will be little to no actual gains in terms of HP, torque or MPG's.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the only reason i was thinking about the first one was because it says that it can be converted to a snorkel... i had gotten water in the air intake of my last jeep Sad is there a better way of preventing water from getting into the air intake?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athough gears are the best way to go, most can not afford them. You will see a power increase with a intake and exhaust combo upgrade and can still save up to regear in the future. An engine is a giant air pump, more air in and more air out = more hp. The TB spacer is definitely a waste of time and money.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Athough gears are the best way to go, most can not afford them. You will see a power increase with a intake and exhaust combo upgrade and can still save up to regear in the future. An engine is a giant air pump, more air in and more air out = more hp. The TB spacer is definitely a waste of time and money.

You may see an increase, but it will be useless as the intake and exhaust mods tend to move the power band up. These changes are virtually useless on on otherwise stock Jeep..........Save your money.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick show of hands would show that most people on this and other forums do these mods. Power is power, some of us will make it any way posssible. Any increase is a good increase. From my personal experience I have seen noticeable increases with these mods and would recommend them. It's not too expensive to install an air cleaner and exhaust, IMO it's worth it. Overall gas mileage will be improved slightly and every penny counts with the fuel cost lately.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick show of hands would show that there a lot of people who swear by this too.............

Snake Oil Linky
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you were gonna go there. You are right, the only way to get power out of a Jeep is to regear. Maybe if you did a little less web wheelin', you'd come up with something better than that. tool
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of showing my maturity, I decided to edit this post and not make a personal attack on Orange boy.

I stand by my statement........save your money and buy gears. They are the best bang for your performance buck there is. Nuff said!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: air intake Reply with quote

bubbaedc wrote:
hey all im thinking about doing something to my "engine" for a little bit more HP and torque

Bubba, I recently read this article in ORA, maybe it'll help explain how things work.

bubbaedc

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thank you both for your input! im sorry i didnt mean to start an argument between anyone... so what about a snorkel? that worth looking into? i do plan on getting new gears too, i was looking at my jeep today and i beleave i have the dana 35c but on the tag it says 3.73, i thought that one was only stock on the dana 44, i plan on getting 33"s eventually, should i wait to change the gears until i get the bigger tires? and witch ones should i get? i dont know alot about changing the gearing but from what you guys have been saying im gonna guess that its expensive... what all does it entail? taking apart the rear end?

i kant cpell btw...
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of info in that article orange, thanks! from what im understanding from reading it its best to upgrade the intake and the exhaust but the stock exhaust is fine at low rpms which is most of off roading and driving, so in addition to an intake what (if any) exhaust modifications would you suggest?
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba, check you pms..........
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know...this topic has been going on since I signed on to this forum.
The posted article is spot on. Maybe the people that have had torque loss installed a system that was to big for there engine and now are telling everyone NO DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

Intake and exhaust systems do help on any internal combustion engine no matter what configuration your engine is, some more than others. It's all about your priorites, where you want to spend your money. Yes you will gain HP and maybe a little torque, but you'll probably see more gains in MPG, witch is always good.
No one can argue with that....

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: