Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1988 Jeep Cherokee Shimmy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zman

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: 1988 Jeep Cherokee Shimmy Reply with quote

Hi, I purchased a 1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 for 500 dollars. I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee larado. Anyway, when my wife drives the 1988 jeep , after she hits a pot hole the Jeep vibrated and caused steering problems, which seemed to staightend out after a slower drive. I took this Jeep to a mechanic, and he told me about the mainfold crack and told me , I knew this when I purchased it as that is a common problem. The steering box he said needed to be replaced, the manifold for the steering??? needed to be replaced and it was not worth fixing, now I was thinking it was the U-joints causing the problem, or possibly wheel bearing. What your take on this from what I have told you. I am going to keep it regardless.
zman

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Stering Box Reply with quote

I almost for got to say that the steering is sloppy, as in not as tight as my 1991. There is play in the steering. Could all the above be caused by the steering box?.
zman

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: My 500 Dollar Jeep Reply with quote

Jepp is now sold.

Last edited by zman on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Swiftek

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zman,

Does the shimmy change with different speeds (tire balancing)? Does it come and go while turning left or right? Is it a 4WD truck? Solid front axel? What "steering problems" did you have exactly?

I would say that it DOES sound like it could be the steering box. An '88 will have some looseness all around, but it's certainly worth fixing. It could also be tie-rod ends, ball-joints, wheel bearings, etc. U-joints have nothing to do with steering, but a bad one on a 4WD front axel could cause a vibration. All of these parts are pretty easy to change, but you will need an alignment after, of course. If you really like this truck, it may be worth changing them all.

The best way to find a shimmy in the front-end is to get it up on some short jack stands, and wiggle stuff. Tie off the steering wheel so that it cannot move at all. Give your front tire a bear hug and try to force the wheels left and right. Check for any looseness at all the connecting points in the steering as well as the suspension. Do one side at a time and then both together. A small amount of movement at the steering box is normal, but not much. There should not be any play in any other connecting points.

Sometimes, you need to push quite hard to get a loose part to wiggle. Just make sure you are not underneath when doing it, and make sure your jack stands are very stable.

'89 Cherokee Pioneer "4x4x4"
(4WD, 4Liter, 4Door)
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same exact issue. have your wife sit in the jeep and turn the wheel a bit back and forth while you look in the entire steering system for play. I have a bad trac-bar bushing which doesn't completely cause the wobble, but doesn't help it. Also as suspension sags it will change the alignment, I would get it aligned. Other than looking for loose bushings or tie rod ends; get your wheels balanced and see what happens. I am almost 100% sure you'll end up with a loose trac-bar bushing, loose steering stabilizer, or a loose tie rod end.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

I am using the vehicle myself and I let her drive my other Jeep it seemed the thing to do. All I notice allot of play in the steering. But you do know that this vehicle is 20 years old, it is going to need all the tie rods and front end parts. Hey I will drive it around here cause all this is farm country anyway and let her drive my Cherokee back and forth to work, but mine does have 248,000 miles on it. I do have a 1985 500 SEC mercedes in my driveway and I have all the parts to fix that as well, but I am no mechanic, I am everything but a mechanic, I know what to do, its just getting the mechanic to do what I want done. I have to go to a mechanic I do not know for the mercedes cause around here they only have ford and chevy ones. I do like my black mercedes lawn ornimate though. I guess if I really have to I can replace the steering box, and I already got the muffler and tail pipe from a napa store for 63 dollars. I got to wait till it get warmer here, Hey its May and its still to cold to handle the metal wrenches outside. Global cooling I tell ya. Why can not a mechanic do what you want them to do and say ok mr so and so .
zman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: 1988 Jeep Cherokee Reply with quote

[b]Sorry to say I used this as a trade in for a Jeep Liberty Columbian Version.I got 2500.00 as a trade in, I only paid 500.00 for. But I still have my 1991 Jeep Cherokee Larado with 240,000.
Swiftek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Please tell us that you didn't purchase a NEW vehicle!?

Everyone knows that buying any vehicle brand new is the biggest rip-off in the auto industry... right?

Shocked

'89 Cherokee Pioneer "4x4x4"
(4WD, 4Liter, 4Door)
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Cherokee Shimmy Reply with quote

Congrats on the 88. I have an 1988 and 1991. My 1988 with 337,000 miles
had sloppy steering. Thought it was a gear box aslo, but was wrong.
The lower steering shaft was wore out. The shaft between the steering column and the gear box. About $100.00 from Quadratec.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_02.htm
It fixed it with no problem. I still have a shimmy but my tires are the
problem with over 70,000 miles on them.
Yes the manifold could be cracked but mine was just showing a leak at
225,000 miles when my engine was replaced. But if you are not in an
emission state or its not noisey leave it alone.
To diag the steering, with the engine off have someone turn the steering wheel if the steering wheel turns and the wheels doesnt its the lower steering shaft. Remember the power steering takes stress off.
1991 Cherokee Limited
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: