Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KLUNK in 4WD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoggy97

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: KLUNK in 4WD Reply with quote

Well today it snowed.... alot. And after school i got in my 1997 jeep TJ and put it in 4wd high because i havent owned it for very long and wanted to test it out.

When it went into 4wd (stopped and neutral) I was going at a very slow speed (under 10km/h) it sounds normal and the 4wd lever locks into place. I take my foot off the clutch and start going and its quiet for a few feet and then i hear a loud clunk and then quiet for a second then clunk again and then i take it out of 4wd. I tried a few other times at different (slow) speeds and got the same result. Its quiet for a second then there is a big klunk and it almost sounds like a tooth is grinding.

I had a 1996 chevy blazer and when my front axle cv joint went it made a similar but much faster clunking noise.

I havent had it up on my hoist at work yet because it just happened today but it was safetied when i bought it so i didnt think it could be the drive shaft of ujoints but i was planning on looking anyways.

Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is sounds like the t-case isn't fully engaging 4HI. The linkage may need to be adjusted or you are not pulling up the lever enough. How is it in 4LO?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a serious clunk in 4low... or so it started but was noticeable in 2... turned out my motor mounts were metal to metal Shocked
bironfish

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi..
have 96 cherokee 4lt ho auto, bought at auction by dealer,, sweetest vehicle on the planet,
at dealer i placed into 4wd and had exactly the same outcome,
ended up replacing transfer case and gear box (at the expence of the dealer) ..seams the transfer case was bone dry and instead of oil in there , was only teeth and shrapnell shock , was around $1200au for both.. since this swap its been rock solid and i do put it to work...
Hope yours is not shredded and its something simple. crazy jeep
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: