Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange loss of power 2.5L 97 facelift model

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukcherokee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Strange loss of power 2.5L 97 facelift model Reply with quote

The Problem:-
Cherokee Sport 2.5L 97 Model 4x4 (facelift) just over 100,000 miles runs and drives well but loss of power when in gear will not go over 2000 revs, put the clutch in and it will rev freely passed 2000 revs like normally, clutch seems to work ok, no difficulty engaging gears forward and reverse gearbox seems fine The exhaust rear box does need replacing but not loud but you can hear the baffle rattling inside. When you try to force it to rev passed 2000 revs in gear going along there is a slight wine or hiss from below the gear shift area but only when forced over 2000 revs not always there though, one thing that did happen when going up long hill on the main road, not steep, it tended to get slower and slower, when I got to the top of the hill not a real difficult hill, the clutch pedal went to the floor came back 10 seconds later first time it had happened. When cold it will rev slightly higher maybe 2800-3000 revs for about half a mile and then no more than 2000 revs. There is slight leak from the exhaust within engine bay but will rev normally when manually reved from inside the engine bay and thats about it. Any ideas ?

Cheers Brian
ukcherokee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Petrol and stick shift
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Strange loss of power 2.5L 97 facelift model Reply with quote

ukcherokee wrote:
The Problem:-
Cherokee Sport 2.5L 97 Model 4x4 (facelift) just over 100,000 miles runs and drives well but loss of power when in gear will not go over 2000 revs, put the clutch in and it will rev freely passed 2000 revs like normally, clutch seems to work ok, no difficulty engaging gears forward and reverse gearbox seems fine The exhaust rear box does need replacing but not loud but you can hear the baffle rattling inside. When you try to force it to rev passed 2000 revs in gear going along there is a slight wine or hiss from below the gear shift area but only when forced over 2000 revs not always there though?

Cheers Brian

Sounds like your rattling baffle in the "exhaust rear box" (you mean the muffler, right?) may have plugged the exhaust system. That would definitely cause it to have a hard time developing power at higher RPM.
ukcherokee

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Magnum

I would agree with you completely if it didn't rev fairly freely when not in gear at a stand still, the gas flow would still be the same when reved at standstill has when moving along, ok maybe a little different on the move but not a lot, or is it?

Like to think it is blocked silencer (muffler) easier fix, will check it out.

Cheers Brian

Hey, if you come up with anything else let me know
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long shot, but it could be the fuel filter(s). We had a Ford Econoline van when I was a kid that had the same symptoms of loss of power when in gear, but seemed normal any other time. Turned out the fuel filter was clogged enough that it wasn't getting enough fuel under a heavy load, but had enough to rev normally under no load.

Like I said, just throwing ideas out there.
ukcherokee

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave that did cross my mind about the fuel filter but because it behaved fairly well in one aspect i.e reving at stand still. I tried give it the benefit of dout although I still have a sneaking suspicion there could be a grain of truth in what you say. Will checkout

Thanks Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: