Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BIG!!! transfercase problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatal7herabbit

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: BIG!!! transfercase problem Reply with quote

Hey all , all right fellow jeepers - I need your help . . . Ive had my YJ for a while now, and fixed may a problems and built it up nicely . . . then this came along

This is the problem--- when im driving I keep hearing a massive clink followed by the jeep jerking back and forth and then it stops , its completely random at times but it will always do it , and on the shift light it falls in and out of 2wd and 4wd High - but in 4low it wont fall into 2 or 4 High - so I narrowed the problem down to a shot transfer case you can hear the driveshafts catching and causing the noise and jerk - what im asking is , what might be causing it exactly becuase i don't have 1,000$ to buy a new NP231 Sad Sad

so far Ive replaced the front and rear diff oil and put in new seals the teeth are not torn up in ither way I do run a 4.5 inch lift with 33's but i have no yoke slip elim on it - yeah I know budget jeeping it never gave me a problem and ive wheeled on it before and no the transfercase problem did not come up when i was wheeling it was just random driving one day until it increased and became worse and worse .. can you help me ?
dodger889

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you did forget a few important pieces of information like year, engine auto or manual, these are need to help you. a yj is a crossover company vechile. Just to guess I would say the either one or two things could be your problem 1 check your vacume lines 2 would be a streched drive chain in the transfer case. both would be a fairly easy fix.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drain the t-case fluid and check for any signs of metal, dark fluid, burnt smell, or water.
fatal7herabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol , yeah sorry i should have done that
well its a 2.5 AMC engine , with a Ax-15 Manual Tranny , with 4.10 gears , and its a 1990
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatal7herabbit wrote:
lol , yeah sorry i should have done that
well its a 2.5 AMC engine , with a Ax-15 Manual Tranny , with 4.10 gears , and its a 1990

I'm not sure what year the AX-15 was put into Wranglers but I'm pretty sure you have an AX-5 with the 4-cyl, not the AX-15 that was commonly found in 6-cyl Wranglers. There is a kit to upgrade from an AX-5 to an AX-15 and retain the 2.5 so it is possible...just not likely.

Anyway, I really wanted to comment on something else. If your t-case is truly shot, you don't need to spend $1000 on a new one. NP231 t-cases are numerous in u-pull-it salvage yards where a t-case would run about $40-$100.
fatal7herabbit

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its the AX-15 becuase when i was underneath it i compared it to some photographs of the 5 and 15 and it resembled the 15 more . . . but i can't be to sure , and as for junkyards ive looked and I cant even find a jeep in a junkyard within 200 miles of me ( Dosent suprise me) ... I tried to look for a Cherokee to gank it out of but still no luck , ... only place i know of is in colorado and thats at least 200 for shipping .. also the risk of that Case being shot too but well see Very Happy

on another note however , We had our annual senior car show yesterday , I trailed my jeep up there and took Most Bad A**ed Truck !! -- beat a few S-10's and my buddies 4inch cherokee
dodger889

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is one that is close to you salvage yard
Southside Auto Salvage
City, State: Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53215
Local Phone: 414-671-5800
and you can look at you local salvage yard near er to you alsosome of them do get jeeps in there yard you can also ask for a cherokee in the same year and motor and trans setup
fatal7herabbit

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man , ill give them a call this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: