Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

water pump installation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usemy3rdArm

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: water pump installation Reply with quote

ok im starting this project hopefully tommorow, i dont have alot of tools so im asking what kind of tools i need to get to do this right. i know i need a fan wrench and a ratchet set anything else im missing? thanks!
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít know how much you know about engine repair, so Iíll start with this.
All you need are basic hand tools for this job. When you go to re-install the new water pump, just make sure that all the old gasket material is removed and all the surfaces are clean. Use a razor blade to remove all the old gasket material from the engine. Also, be careful not to gouge the metal with the razor, it may cause a leak.
Use the gasket and a sealant that resists water, permatex blue or equivalent. Donít apply to much sealant; it will just make a big mess. Also, if you have access to a torque wrench, use it to tighten all the mounting bolts so there tightened evenly, Check a Haynes or other repair manual for the torque spec.
Once you get everything put together and filled with water and coolant, make sure to get as much air out of the engine by starting the engine and squeezing upper radiator hose, youíll notice bubbles bursting at the filler neck on the radiator, the more air you get out of the system the less chance you have of overheating.

Take your time; this is something you donít want to rush, and keep things clean!
Good luck fellow jeeper...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Usemy3rdArm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! now i was told not to use RTV sealant at all just the gasket itself is this true?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get away with just the gasket, but the RTV will give you a little more insurance from leaks. It also makes instalation a little easer by holding the gasket in place as you install the new pump.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Polar01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thin skim of blue permatex wont hurt anything, I like Valco Cincinnati Hylomar, it never sets up permanently so if you ever have to take anything back apart, you dont have to scrape anything off, and in some cases can reuse what's still there! it's impervious to any liquid in an engine and a little goes a long way. They use the stuff on the seals for jet turbine engines, so it's plenty good enough for a Jeep. Can be tough to find somewhere that carries it, but it works on anything.
[/quote]

Last edited by Polar01 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: