Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

16 x 8 Moab Wheels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
titans

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: 16 x 8 Moab Wheels Reply with quote

New to this site and new to the JEEP world. Just bought a 2005 RUBICON and am thinking of going with the 33" equivalent on the stock 16 x 8 Moab wheels. I have done some research on lifts and I think I am going to go with a 3" lift. My question is...can I mount a 33" equivalent on the stock Moab wheels without spacers or should I just buy new wheels all together? Most guys at the parts counter tell me I need to go with a 15 x 8 rim. This makes little sense to me since the MOAB wheel is 16x8, and kind of felt that they were trying to push more product. I can only think that they are refering to back spacing, maybe? I hope I can still use my original rim because I like that design, and that would keep me from having to spend more money on new wheels. Thanks for any help.
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the width of the tire. Using metric sizes, you can get a 10", 11.5" or 12.5" wide, 33" tall tire. The wider the tire, the more likely you are to need less backspacing to keep the tires from rubbing the suspension components.
DOUBLEDUCE

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

The reason they are telling you to go to 15" rims is tires are a lot cheaper. 15" rims with fit over your brakes fine. and 33" tire will fit with a 3 inch lift, but you have to ask yourself if 3" is good wouldn't 4" be better?
the problem i see to often is that guys buy what they think will just do the job. and decide later they really want 35" tires. big is good bigger is better. remember 2" of tire height equals 1" of axle clearance. I am running a 5.5" long arm lift with coil over kings. the tj's body stock was 18" off the ground and now is 31.5" total lift of 13.5"s with 35" tires.

Bill
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway you go about it you will need spacers or rims with 3 3/4 back spacing for 33's or they will most likely rub. You can get a set of 1 1/4 spacers on ebay for around $120. I have a set and they work just fine. I run 305/70r 16 with spacers and I have no issues with rubbing.
titans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. With all the research I have done this past week, I think I have a better idea of what I want to do.
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: tires Reply with quote

DOUBLEDUCE wrote:
and now is 31.5" total lift of 13.5"s with 35" tires.
Bill

got any pics of it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: