Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How hard is it to swap some diff gears?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerostarlegacy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: How hard is it to swap some diff gears? Reply with quote

I have a Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube that is bent (3.07:1), and another axle same model and all, but it came from an automatic, and so the gear ratio is 3.55:1. Is it possible to take all the gears and shafts and whatnot out of the 3.07 and put it into the casing of the 3.55? Will it fit? Do I need special tools besides what you'd find in an average workshop? Would it be really hard? Can I do it while it is still attached to the car? I hope that made sense...
No, you may not drive it
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How hard is it to swap some diff gears? Reply with quote

aerostarlegacy wrote:
Is it possible to take all the gears and shafts and whatnot out of the 3.07 and put it into the casing of the 3.55?

Yes, it's possible.
aerostarlegacy wrote:
Will it fit?

Yup, it will fit.
aerostarlegacy wrote:
Do I need special tools besides what you'd find in an average workshop?

Yes here too. Dial indicator to measure backlash, a press to remove and reinstall bearings when you need to change shim packs, torque wrenches, possibly a case spreader, etc. It gets pretty involved.
aerostarlegacy wrote:
Would it be really hard?

Not really hard just time-intensive if you don't know what you're doing. You'll need to be able to read the gear pattern and figure out what changes you need to make.
aerostarlegacy wrote:
Can I do it while it is still attached to the car?

Sure, if you don't mind crawling underneath multiple times when you have to remove and reinstall the diff internals multiple times when you don't get a good pattern.

I would highly recommend you Google for a good writeup on setting up a ring and pinion.
aerostarlegacy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, wow...
thanks for the detailed reply! I'll look into those tools that you mentioned, I think a friend of mine might have them.
No, you may not drive it
aerostarlegacy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "good pattern"?
No, you may not drive it
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerostarlegacy wrote:
What do you mean by "good pattern"?

I'll try this again.
ehirner wrote:
I would highly recommend you Google for a good writeup on setting up a ring and pinion.

You need to do your homework if you plan on swapping these yourself.
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerostarlegacy wrote:
oh, wow...
thanks for the detailed reply! I'll look into those tools that you mentioned, I think a friend of mine might have them.

Some of those are not typical "weekend wrench" type tools. Setting up a ring-and-pinion (and getting it RIGHT) is a very meticulous process, and you really need to have someone experienced walk you through it the first time. IF you don't get the meshing pattern of the ring and pinion gear just right, you'll ruin the gears in no time, or at the very least make them so noisy that they'll rattle your fillings out.

The Chrysler 8.25 is fairly forgiving as rear-end setups go, but NONE of them will forgive a bad mesh pattern. The old 8.75 was easier because you could just pull the whole center section out and work on it on the bench while leaving the axle housing bolted into the car, but its long out of production and was never used in any Jeeps that I know of (it was gone before Chrysler bought AMC).
aerostarlegacy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so I googled it, and I think that I'm not going to even try this. I don't have the technical know-how to do it, but I did replace the whole axle assembly once. (that's the extent of my car knowledge, pathetic, isn't it?). Thanks for the help though, I'm glad I asked instead of just taking it apart. heh...that would've been interesting.
No, you may not drive it
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention all the fun you'd have when you put everything back together, drive on it a few feet, and hear the 4th Of July playing in your pumpkin as the whole assembly explodes into a messy soup of gear oil and metal fragments. As said earlier, gear alignment is a pretty tight process and requires at the very least someone who's done it successfully before to show you how. Me? If it were my Jeep? Get a gear mechanic and pay him to do it. Less chance of a surprise ending.

djgrayxj

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Do Not Change Your Mind Reply with quote

I think you made the right decision in not attempting this job on your own. But just in case you have a foolish weak moment and have second thoughts open this web sight, look it over and then say self this was a very bad idea. This is defiantly not a job for a first timer.

Differential Installation and Repair
http://www.differentials.com/install.html
96sportster

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contuary to popular belief, its not easy! i would not recommend anyone to do gears that hasnt A. done them before B. is doing them with the help of soemone whos done them before

spend the money and get a shop to do it, and not a shitty shop that charges 100$ to do it, a shop that will charge at least 250$.. GET IT DONE RIGHT

it is possible to do it yourself and it can be done, but i promise you, they'll wine to all hell... JIMO
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

96sportster wrote:
spend the money and get a shop to do it, and not a shitty shop that charges 100$ to do it, a shop that will charge at least 250$.. GET IT DONE RIGHT

You can't judge the quality of a shop by the amount they charge. I've run across many shops that overcharge and have shitty work quality.
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
96sportster wrote:

You can't judge the quality of a shop by the amount they charge. I've run across many shops that overcharge and have shitty work quality.

Very true. The best way to deal with all this? Look for other lifted Jeepers in your area, pull up to one, and ask them if they regeared. Even if you get only 2 to 4 yesses in an ocean of no's, the ones that did will impart their knowledge of where/how they got theirs done. If they got it done in a shop, get back on here and ask us. We'll tell you if they're charging too much.

aerostarlegacy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THank you guys so much! I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't have asked for your advice. I likely would have done something that cost way to much, or tired to do something that I never could hope to do. So thanks for saving my car!
No, you may not drive it
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: