Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intro and a few questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Intro and a few questions Reply with quote

Greetings! I'm a long-time gearhead and Mopar fanatic who just acquired his first Jeep. Its a '99 Cherokee 2-door, very low-option model. Its got A/C and power steering.brakes and thats about it. Drivetrain is the 4.0 (been wanting one of these buggers for years) 5-speed and the part-time transfer case (select-trac, right? Gotta learn the new lingo).

Anyway, I'm reasonably experienced mechanically having rebuilt several Mopars over the years and doing all my own maintenance, but since the Jeep still has a lot of AMC heritage I want to make sure I don't do something boneheaded like I've seen Chevy guys learning to speak Dodge do... Wink

First question- do you guys have a preferred source of literature? What I really want is a factory service manual. Best tool in the garage if you ask me. Given how little is still available from Chrysler for my wife's car, I'm pretty sure they don't still have FSMs for 99 Cherokees. Hope I'm wrong, but I'll bet I'm not. Confused

Second question- Like I said, this jeep is a *base* model. For the most part I like that, but there's one thing I can't stand: the dash cluster has a speedometer and a gas gauge, and nothing else but idiot lights. UN-acceptable! I could always put in a pod of aftermarket gauges, but I notice that an optional cluster had full instrumentation. Now most 90s Mopars had computer-driven clusters that were all interchangeable, so that the wiring was common to all and they just plugged in. Anyone know if the Jeep is the same way so that I could get an up-trim cluster from a junkyard, swap it in, and get a full set of factory gauges? I assume that the factory gauges actually indicate temp, voltage, and oil pressure too, unlike some brands (Ford) that just snap to a value in the "normal" range if the pressure is over 5 PSI.

Thanks in advance, I'm really looking forward to having a lot of fun with this cool truck.
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Intro and a few questions Reply with quote

440_Magnum wrote:
First question- do you guys have a preferred source of literature? What I really want is a factory service manual. Best tool in the garage if you ask me. Given how little is still available from Chrysler for my wife's car, I'm pretty sure they don't still have FSMs for 99 Cherokees. Hope I'm wrong, but I'll bet I'm not. Confused

FSM's are available still, and the best way to get them is off of eBay. At one point you could download them as PDFs. but since they're copyrighted many websites have pulled them off. Do a search on Google for Cherokee FSM and look to see if any are left out there, or just buy one.

welcome

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pretty good article on swapping out the gauge cluster on an XJ.

http://jeepin.com/features/gaugeswap/

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents! I knew I came to the right place.

Good to hear the gauge cluster swap is as easy as I'd hoped. I really don't like idiot lights at all, and especially not on a 4x4, fer pete's sake!
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another question regarding manual trans lubricant: Does the trans used in these XJs have any problems with synthetic gear oil, like the synchros getting too slippery?

I'm not really a big true believer in synthetic oils being more economical, but I do tend to use them when practical. Definitely in engines, often for rear axles. Never owned a "front differential" before, though :-)
440_Magnum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:
Here's a pretty good article on swapping out the gauge cluster on an XJ.

http://jeepin.com/features/gaugeswap/

Just to follow up- THANKS for that link. I nabbed a high trim option (tach, oil, voltage, and water temp gauges instead of idjit lights) off E-bay for $50, swapped it in after re-painting the faded orange on a few of the pointers, and voila! Now I have working gauges and a tach. The only minor glitch was that the "washer fluid low" light always came on. Apparently in the full gauge cluster its swapped with the security system fault warning relative to the idiot light only cluster. My truck doesn't have the security system, so the fault light stays on. In the old cluster that bulb was absent, so I pulled the washer fluid indicator bulb in the new one. I fully expect that when my washer fluid gets low I'll get a "security!" light on the dash... but I don't care. I'm secure. Confused And I like my oil and temp gauges. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: