Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmision do not want to shift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.MacLachlan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Transmision do not want to shift Reply with quote

I have a 97 Cherokee 4,0L auto. It sometimes do not want to shift up or down. When you start the engine and move the selector from park to drive you can feel it going into first , but when you release the brake and push the fuel pedal , it feels like it is in 4th/overdrive. When I then move it to 1st/2nd it goes to 1st and stays there. I then move it to 3rd and it goes to 3rd without going to 2nd. When I move it to "D" it goes to 4th/overdrive and when you put foot to the floor it will gear down to 3rd. It also don't lock the torque convertor in 3rd or in 4th/overdrive.
J.MacLachlan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Gearbox problem Reply with quote

Could some one please give me advice on where to look for this transmision problem.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a vacuum line probably fell off the tranny
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J.MacLachlan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Transmision Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I have looked but could not find any loose vacuum lines.

Like I said , it only happens sometimes. This weekend I drove about 350km without any problem , but this morning it started again with in 200meters from my house on my way to work.

Any other sugestions?
J.MacLachlan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other ideas?

Could it be old oil or maybe the filter/screen that is clogged?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.MacLachlan wrote:
Any other ideas?

That would be the first step I would take.

When in doubt, change it out!

440_Magnum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.MacLachlan wrote:
Any other ideas?

I know very little about the automagic used in the recent XJ (its an Asin-Warner, not a Chrysler Torqueflite like I'm familiar with). But if its like the later T-flites, there's a lot of electronic control involvement in addition to the traditional hydraulics. Could it be a bad speed sensor? Has the speedometer been reading "funny" (dropping to zero, speed dropping randomly) lately?
J.MacLachlan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with the speedo reading.

I think the first I am going to first try the oil change. Is there a filter that also needs changing and where is it mounted?
kaos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a filter located in the transmission itself. You have to drop the pan to get at it.

As for your problem, by all means change the fluid and filter if it hasn´t been done recently. But, as you can get the transmission to shift by moving the lever, I suspect a problem with the electonics rather than the hydraulics. If it's an AW4, the shifting in "D" is completely under electronic control. It has it's own speed sensor that is not used for the speedo, so that is still a possibility. On my '93 XJ there was a Transmission Control Unit behind the dash on the passenger side, but this function may have been integrated into the ECU on yours. Either way, I would take a very good look at all electrical connections to and near the transmission; disconnect all connectors and look inside them for corrosion and give them a squirt of contact spray before reconnecting. Also look for abraded/broken wires.

--
Regards,
Kári
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're describing about the shifting characteristics using the manual selection of gears is normal. But the way it's shifting in "D", obviously, is not. This sounds like an electrical signal problem to me also. If your 97+ is like my 1998, the ECU will be located on the interior of the vehicle, on the driver's side under the center consol of the dash. It's a flat square box with a wire loom plugged into it.

Since you said that it doesn't seem to be locking up the torque converter in 3rd or 4th, I am wondering if this has something to do with the switch that tells the ECU when you have the brakes applied or not... which also may explain why it feels normal until you release the brake. Now, I have never dealt with this on an AW4, so I am assuming it has this switch somewhere, like a 700R4 would (although the 700R4 is a manual switch whereas the AW4 would probably just send a signal to the ECU). But if this switch exists and isn't releasing, the transmission thinks you have the brakes applied the whole time and it will probably make it do funny things.

Just for info's sake to see if your transmission is shifting normally in the 1-2, and 3 selections, here is how I've observed the shifting of an AW4.
1-2: It will stay in 1st until you hit very high rpm, like 5000+, in which case it will shift into 2nd. If you are above 30mph in 3rd and shift into 1-2, it will stay in 2nd until you get below 30mph, at which point it will downshift to first and remain there. It will compression brake in 2nd until below 30mph, at which point it downshifts and will compression brake in 1st.

3: It will remain in 3rd almost all of the time. The torque converter will lock up in 3rd. I don't recall whether it will downshift into 2nd if you really step on it. It will compression brake in 3rd.

D: In D it will be fully automatic, and will downshift into 3rd or even 2nd if you really step on it at medium speeds. The torque converter will lock up in 4th. It will compression brake in 4th.
J.MacLachlan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shifting is similar to what you explained.

I am now sure that it must be a loose connection somewhere. On my way to work this morning I drove through a bump in the road and I could feel and see on the rev counter that the torque converter lock for a split second. The selector was in 3rd at that stage.

I am going to spend time underneath my Jeep this coming weekend cleaning all electrical connectors.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

un-plug the computer , plug it back in . if its like the old cherokees its under the kick panel on the passengers side right under the glove box .

also unplug connections to tranny and di-electric grease them all . look for rubbed wires etc .

you should change the tranny filter and oil . the filter has probably never been done . its under the oil pan , hour-2 hour job depending on how fast you want it done it could be 10 minutes .

filter runs about 60-70$ i think . and a cork gasket for the pan .
J.MacLachlan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , I do not know what happened , but the gearbox is working fine again. It must have been a bad electrical connection , somewhere. Thank you for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: