Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'84 CJ7 problems.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnjeepster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: '84 CJ7 problems..... Reply with quote

Hello all,

If anyone could offer any assistance at all I would greatly appreciate it.

A couple years ago I bought a dream jeep from one of my old instructors and have been driving it/working on it here and there for the past couple years, its been great. But with all the work I put into it, the same problem continues to keep rising. On nice days when I like to take the jeep out for drives, It randomly dies on me when I make it up to highway speeds, after about 15 or 20 minutes of driving. I dont know if the problem lies with the fuel system or what. But everytime I drive for about 20 minutes, Im going along fine and then all power to the jeep crashes, I can push and push on the accelorater, and no response from the stubborn 258 inline-6. I dont think the problem is electrical, because I have full electric power. The thing is, it seems like it has different moods, some days it will drive strong and fine, but others I can't take it for more than 15 minutes without it dying and having no response from the accelorator.

So, Ive done what I can possibly do (and can afford, of course) to try to fix the jeep. Ive replaced and worked on: the starter, the fuel pump and hose from the pump to the carburetor, ignition module, battery, solenoid, radiator (ha, mainly because it had a hole in it), and attempted to mess around with the carburetor and throttle. If anyone can give me some advice or tips for anything, I would be truly greatful. I am from Chattanooga, and go to school in Mississippi, and all I want is to get my jeep down there to drive around and play with of course.

Thanks!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has this been happening?

welcome
bnjeepster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's literally been a problem since I bought it, its just odd because some days I can drive it for a good 20 minutes on small country roads to the lake or somthin fine, but after I stop for a while and start it up, and then drive it back home it will cut out on me as I said above. Usually it does this when I go above 45 or 50 on the highway. When it cuts off, there is no acceloration whatsoever, i can push the pedal to the floor..and nothing. This makes me think that it might be a fuel problem, but I'm not sure. Maybe engine overheating? No clue.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the plugs still getting spark when it dies?
bnjeepster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay...been outa town for a while........

But yes, that's another thing... I replaced all plugs this past semester, and getting a spark doesn't seem to be the issue. And when it cuts out on me, and i have to pull the jeep off the side of the road, it doesn't take much to start it up again. usually cranking right up.

it is incredibly annoying.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry a plug socket with you and next time it cuts out check for spark right away.
I would start wiggling some of the wires while it's running to see if you can reproduce the stalling. Sounds like an electrical issue. Inspect the wires going to and from the ignition module, solenoid, distributor, and coil for wear or cracks.
I had an issue with the ground wire going into the distributor on my CJ. It goes through a chunk of rubber as it enters the bottom of the cap, along with the other distributor wires. The ground wire attaches to a ring terminal inside of the rubber and was pulling away from it, causing no spark. I had to slice it open to find it. Once repaired there hasn't been an issue.
I'm not saying you have the same problem, but I bet it's something similar.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had jeep truck with a tank rusting on the inside and the rust would settle against the outlet after about twenty minutes and completely shut the engine down.. give it ten minutes and it fire right back up. I would bet you have the same situation.. Just a thought Wink
gar3thw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had an issue with the ground wire going into the distributor on my CJ. It goes through a chunk of rubber as it enters the bottom of the cap, along with the other distributor wires. The ground wire attaches to a ring terminal inside of the rubber and was pulling away from it, causing no spark. I had to slice it open to find it. Once repaired there hasn't been an issue.

Although I don't own a CJ, I think Orange might be on to something. Something tells me its probably not an individual spark plug or wire. When I fired my '77 Cherokee Chief up last summer one of the wires to the spark plug was disconnected, and it actually started up and ran. Even though this is an inline-6, I would think at least two plugs/wires would have to be failing for it to stall. Therefore I think it might be something with the distributor cap.

On the other hand, I not even close to the biggest gear-head or smartest about cars, so everything I just said could be completely wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: