Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheap Front Lift Springs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Cheap Front Lift Springs Reply with quote

I have begun to piece together the components needed to put a 6" lift on my 1998 Cherokee. My goal is to make the most affordable, yet functional, lift I can. Because of this forum and posts by people like OrangeAMC, I have concluded that the s-10 springs could give me a cheap, heavy duty, yet easy 4" on the rear of the vehicle. The other 2" could be taken care of with extended shackles and home-brew u-bolt eliminators (with anti-wrap bars).

But getting front springs is not so easy. I know I could get 4.5" from Rusty's for $130, or from RE for $175, which isn't terribly expensive. But is there a "salvage yard" spring from some other vehicle that would give me 3" - 4" of lift that won't make my Cherokee ride like an F-550? I know Grand Cherokee springs can give 1" of lift, but that's not really enough to matter.

The other question is about the Rusty's springs vs. the RE springs. Has anyone had any experience with the Rusty's compared with the Rubicon Express? Is it worth the extra $45 to get the RE springs, or are they about the same ride quality?
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustys springs are extremely good for the money and I believe they are near top of the line. They build very good components and are one of the only manufacturers to supply for JeepSpeed (turning a jeep into a baja truck)

rubicon express has a better warranty system, but by the time coils break the rest of the body has rusted out from under them, so i dont think it matters
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I didn't realize that the Rusyt's springs were of that quality. After you replied I looked up their spring rates and unloaded length, and they do have a taller but softer rate, so that would lend itself to a nicer ride. Thanks again for the info. At $130 per pair, I think this is actually a very affordable rate for a quality spring... so forget the junkyard crap for the front.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since your lifting it 6 inchs your going to need an SYE... i would go with the rubicon express hack and tap since your on a budget ....and get a junkyard front drive shaft from a cherokee and get it lengthed

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeland713xj wrote:
since your lifting it 6 inchs your going to need an SYE... i would go with the rubicon express hack and tap since your on a budget ....and get a junkyard front drive shaft from a cherokee and get it lengthed

my dad has 6.5 inches in his cherokee, no SYE
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibes will vary from jeep to jeep. You will have no way of knowing until you are lifted. Some jeeps have bad vibes after 3" of lift, some have no vibes at 6". It will be a judgement call. I've seen a jeep with a 6.5" kit with 1 3/4" coil spacers and 2" shackles grossing around 8" of lift and no vibes, but it does have a 2" t-case drop. its not an offroad jeep, just a show truck so he could look cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
96sportster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after lifting my jeep, s10 springs give well over 4 inches of lift, jfyi... with the 2 largest s10 leafs and rustys 3 inch AAL i had like 6 inches of lift in the rear, removing the AAL and putting a stock leaf in im doing to 4.5in in the rear and thats leaving out 2 of the s10 leafs...
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should post up everything you do for the cheap lift kit . Smile
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely post findings if I ever get around to doing some of this stuff. It will be awhile before I get around to it, which is why I am trying to collect as much ahead of time.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidXJ wrote:
I will definitely post findings if I ever get around to doing some of this stuff. It will be awhile before I get around to it, which is why I am trying to collect as much ahead of time.

Just curious, what size tire will you be running with that 6" lift?

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
whlstnd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 6.5" lift and no sye with no vibes, just a 1" tc drop and a 6* shim in the rear.
for front springs you might want to look at rough country 6.5 springs.
mike
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I've been on vacation. My plan is to eventually run 35s w/ a couple of Dana 60s I have in the garage. But first, sort of as a transition, I am going to go with 4.5" lift and a RE Hack & Tap and run some 32s using my standard axles. But even with that, I've got to get to a pick-n-pull and start pulling some parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: