Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turn Signals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoneSpar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Turn Signals Reply with quote

I am having some problems with the turn signals in my 89 XJ. Drivers
side blinks. Passenger side just lights up solid, front and back. I
thought it was just a blown bulb, but they are both working. Any
Ideas???
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals Reply with quote

LoneSpar wrote:
I am having some problems with the turn signals in my 89 XJ. Drivers
side blinks. Passenger side just lights up solid, front and back. I
thought it was just a blown bulb, but they are both working. Any
Ideas???

A blown bulb doesn't have to be completely out for it to act up like that, and from what you're describing, it definitely sounds like a bulb. Open up the housing to the front and back blinkers and check each bulb inside. The one that has carbon in it (darker than the others) should be the one to replace. Pop in a new bulb and give it a try.

The other possible thing it could be is the fuse that usually sits in the steering wheel column that controls the blinkers, but that isn't as likely to occur unless you have hit the steering wheel or column somehow. That is also more involved than the blinker lightbulb to replace and far less likely the culprit, which is why it's easier to start with the bulbs.

Check out the bulbs first and let us know what happens. Mr. Green

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulb x2!
LoneSpar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I replaced the front, but didn't do the back since it lit up bright. I will do that tomorrow. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
LoneSpar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK-- I checked the rear bulb. The glass and the metal were no longer connected except for the wire!!!! That is why it lit up still. I changed it. Still no blinking on the passenger side. So on a whim, I pulled the flasher out of my 78 Chevy lowrider pickup and put it in my XJ. Now they work!!!!!!! I am not sure I understand this. If the flasher was bad, how did the drivers side still blink????? I guess it doesn't matter as long as it works!!!!!
Thanks!!!!
PS By the way, I love your avatar Drake69!!!!! I have a Clone Trooper tattoo on my leg!!!!!
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works because it completes an electrical circuit, end-to-end. If you have one bulb getting ready to die, it interrupts the circuit somewhat, which is why you get either no blinking, intermittent blinking, or spastic blinking, because the relay that controls the blinker is getting messed up. This is why it's good to replace more than one bulb or at the very least carry spares. If one goes out then another one on the chain could possibly go out at a sooner-than-later time. Ohh, and you have two relays for your blinkers, one on each side. This is why one side was not affected while the other one was.

Don't sweat it though. It took me a while to figure this out until I started reading up about electrical wiring. Still haven't mastered the whole "grounding" thing when it comes to Jeeps yet. Mr. Green

And troopers kick ass. rofl

jimmyjeep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: i've got a similar problem Reply with quote

i've just gotten a 93 cherokee sport.
and my signal lights were working when i bought it two months ago.

but it kinda acted funny though. and it had more pressing work to be had. so i put it on the backburner.
but i've heard a loose piece moving in the steering wheel. it sounds like a broken little piece thats rolling around inside it. i hear it when i turn.
once on a cold morning really early i noticed after changing lanes using the signal lights a bit of smoke eminated from the steering wheel. but it didn't happen again. at least that i noticed.

anyways now, the signal lights are not blinking. the lights all work, but they don't blink. i've checked the fuses but they're not blown.

does anyone have any ideas?
is that piece i hear in the steering wheel possibly the problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: