Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Additional Info for Passenger Side Flooding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beth-Marie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Additional Info for Passenger Side Flooding Reply with quote

This concerns passenger side floorboard flooding while using the air conditioning on Jeep Grand Cherokees (mine is a 94 model). The link yall provided ... http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl022a.htm ... shows a great illustration on where to drill the hole to clean out the a/c evaporator line. You can use a rack to clean out the line once you have drilled the hole. Be sure to angle the rack UPWARDS to clean it out. It took me about 20 minutes to clean it all out and I probably got out about 1/2 a cup of debris.

If you can't get the plug to fill the hole, (Auto Zone looked at me like a was insane when I explained it to them), you can get "EPOXY PUTTY" from the plumbing section at Lowe's to do the job. It works wonderfully! It's similar to that Mighty Putty advertised on TV, and only about $5 a tube.

This procedure absolutely works and after 2 years I'm finally able to run the air conditioning without renting scuba gear! I hope this helps.
Brad S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, good diagram to follow.

Also, you can pick up rubber corks from your local hardware store and they work great for a plug for that hole. Mine hasn't leaked since.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, Brad. I never even thought about the hardware store. Considering that I usually duct tape EVERYTHING, the epoxy putty was a step up for me, lol.
Brad S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just to tell you how desperate I am to make things of my own, a little story:

A long, long time ago, in a garage far away...

A man took a drill bit, slightly larger than the hole in his a/c housing, and drilled a hole about 1/4" deep in some scrap wood. He then coated that hole with grease to create a mold. This guy then squeezed silocone from a tube he had laying around, into the hole and let it set for about 2 days. After this, he then pulled the home-brewed "plug" from the mold, squeezed it into the hole in his a/c housing and secured it with duct tape.
It actually worked for about 2 months...

Moral of the story: A $0.23 rubber cork does wonders.

lol, I am a complete dorkish moron sometimes Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would have to say "that guy" would absolutely win the "most creative and extravagant way to fix something" award!

I'm just the opposite...duct tape, hammer, wd-40! I'm actually very patient when it comes to working with wood, but everything else I expect one of those three items to fix...and fix QUICK!

The kids swear that the only thing holding my Jeep together is rust and duct tape. I actually considered putting duct tape over that hole I drilled to clean out that a/c line...but figured I would have been just too embarrassed to come back on here and tell that, lol.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you can go to Lowes and look in the hardware section and look in the plastic screw boxes.. There is an assortment of plugs and such there..

But I would just buy some quick steel and be done with it.. Looks and holds better than duct tape..

And is paintable if you so desire.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: