Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Running...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtouimet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Not Running... Reply with quote

Hello I have been having some problems with my 91 XJ 4.0l. I came back from deployment to a dead battery. I replaced it and the jeep started up with little motivation. It ran ok for a few min. until it started sputtering and died. I started it a few more times and it continued to die. I thought it might be the fuel since there was no more than 5 gal. in the tank. So I got some fuel additive for fuel that has been sitting and added another 2 gal. of fresh gas. Once I got it to start it ran ok for 5-10 min. until it died again. And would not start again. Then I thought maybe the fuel filter. So I put a new filter in and it started. It ran until it got good and hot, so it took it around the block where it proceeded to died before I made it back home. I had a buddy pull me back to my house. I then dropped the tank, emptied it, cleaned it out, put in a new filter, and added 5 gal. of 91 oct fuel with fuel injector cleaner. It started right up and ran fine. i started it and stopped it several times pulling it in and out of my driveway. I decided to brave the trip around the block again. Same thing. I made it about half way when it died. It started right back up and I continued on my way. It continued to died a few more times until I was within 50 yd of my house where it had enough. It wouldn't sustain an idle. i decided to let it sit for a few hours, because in the past once it had cooled down it would start up and run until it got hot again. I went back a few hours later and started it up and managed to get it home. Now it wont even start. So that is the long story. Can anyone help?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean or replace the IAC.
gtouimet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean as a whistle and still does not start. I can spray some staring fluid into it and it will start right up but then die 2 seconds later. Is there an easy way to check to make sure the fuel line isn't clogged between the filter and the engine?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IAC could be bad. I recently replaced one that looked fine and it solved my problem (same symptoms as yours) right away.
Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to check if the fuel is reaching the engine, or least the rail.
You can unhook the filter and then unhook the line at the fuel rail and blow some compressed air through it to check for clogs.

gtouimet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome Thanks.
gtouimet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I disconnected it to see if it would make any difference and it started right up. It had a high idle at about 1500rpm but it ran fine. So I am guessing if I just replace the IAC it will be fine, or do you think there was something that caused it. Do they just go bad like that over time or does something trigger it? Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy one?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately they do just go bad. About two months ago my 99 was intermittently acting up out of nowhere. I would be driving, Jeep would be running fine, then it would just cut right out. This happened several times over about a month and a half. Sometimes it would fire right back up and other times it would not want to run for long at all. Everytime it happened I was able to get home, then the next day it would fire right up and I couldn't get it to repeat the problem. Usually, when I encounter problems similar to this, I clean the IAC and it solves the issue, this time it didn't work. I ended up replacing the TPS first because my IAC looked fine and I was honestly stumped. The TPS did nothing and of course, no returns on electric parts. I picked up the IAC valve from Autozone for just under $50 and my Jeep has been fine since. Mr. Green

Be sure to post up the results. Make sure you pull off the housing the IAC goes into and clean it thoroughly. It really would't hurt to pull off the whole TB and clean it as well!

gtouimet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. That sounds a lot like my problem. I will get it replaced and post how it does.
gtouimet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I installed a new valve, cleaned up the TB real well and put it all back together. It started right up but had a high idle of around 2300rpm. I let it run for about 15min during which I would rev it every now and again and it would climb back down to an idle like it would normally do. Once it got good and hot I stepped on it again and it just died just like it did before. now I have after market product on it like cold air intake, header, exhaust, bored TB, ignition and injectors from and LS1. would any of this be causing it to die from being lean or something that? Just a thought.
gtouimet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was thinking that it could be my thermostat. It is the same one that has been in there for years now. What do you think?
kaos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the description, I rather doubt it. How high does the temp go, according to the gauge? Bad thermostat will either cause the engine to run cold (leading to excessive fuel consumption and engine wear), or hot (which can result in the engine stopping, but usually only after showing other symptoms (steam)).

I sounds like it might be the CPS. Have you tried pulling codes, either with a diagnostics tool or the key trick? It might tell you more.

--
Kári
gtouimet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it gets up to about 215-220 ish. I haven't bothered checking the codes because the check engine light never comes on.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the vacuum lines for leaks. Is it possible that some pests could have found their way under your hood while you were away?
gtouimet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. Were I live there are not any little critters.
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Quit running Reply with quote

Just recently experienced the same problem in my 91.
Would run a short time and die .
One thing I did was replace the fuel filter which was NFG fuel came out black. My 91 would restart and run only when cold and die when it wanted to. I took a wild guess and shot for the coil which I found had cracks in it. Replaced it and the problem was solved. Talked with a couple
of shops and they say it is pretty common. The coil mounted on the block cant cool and bascially burns up over the years.
1991 Cherokee Limited
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: