Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YJ Electric fuel pump experience needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: YJ Electric fuel pump experience needed Reply with quote

I have a 93 base YJ, manual trans 4.0 that is getting no fuel pressure at the rail. I have 12vdc at the fuel pump relay and it is switching just fine. I used clip leads to hook it up separate from the PDC and got 12vdc out of it.

The FSM electrical manual shows an indication of a black connector at the right rear of the engine that carries the voltage to the pump but I haven't been able to locate it. It doesn't indicate either high or low behind the engine but I didn't see any connector either place.

I want to check voltage at the pump first without dropping the tank but cannot figure out how to get to the connector, short of either dropping the tank or cutting an access hole in the rear tub floor.

I have read a few mentions of folks who apparently have gotten to the tank connector but it is not clear if they dropped, or partially dropped the tank or were able somehow to reach it with the tank in place..

If there isn't any other way I will drop the tank but just am curious if I have missed anything that would make it easier?

Tnx Fred in Mesquite, TX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: dropped tank Reply with quote

Fred: I've dropped my tank twice. First time was hard, second time even worse. The first time I did it just because my 1991 Renegade had the original pump, and I was doing proactive maintenance. Good thing I changed it, there were aluminum shavings from the motor all over the bottom of the tank. Second time was to repair a leak. If you are skinny and lucky, you may be able to get at the connector by getting under the car, and reaching on top of the tank from the engine direction. The connector is smack in the middle of the top of the tank.

I'd advise against drilling a peephole. Chances are you'll miss it, and there is precious little room between the tank and body. If you cut into the plastic tank, you are looking at $500 for a new one and you'll have to drop it anyway.
Good Luck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump Reply with quote

No way around it. Just drop the tank (yes it is a pain), replace the pump.

There is another advantage to dropping the tank. If you have the 15 gal plastic tank, you can modify it into a 20 gal tank very easily if the tank is dropped. This can be done with the tank in place, but is much harder.

There are 2 hoses going to the tank from the fill cap. One is an overflow tube and is slightly smaller than the fuel tube. If you pull this overflow tube off of the nipple on the tank, you will find a small tube pressed into place in the nipple. If you pull out this tube (10" long or so) you will gain 5 gallons in your tank. If you look around on the internet there are a couple of sites showing pictures of this procedure.

Believe me, another 5 gallons of gas in the tank when your going over a major trail such as the Rubicon is great.

Lost Coast 4x4's
Lost Coast 4x4's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: