Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lift kit ???'s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: lift kit ???'s Reply with quote

hey guys, ive been looking at a few different lift kits and had a few ?'s about them:
1. is there a huge difference in a 4" lift and a 6" lift other than the obvious, is the 6" more top heavy and more likely to roll on a steep trail vs the 4"
2. im guessing that almost all 6" lifts need a SYE and a new driveshaft, will the 4" lifts need the same or will a Tcase drop work fine?
3. what other things should i be considering when looking for a lift? most of the trails where i live are almost all rock crawling

two 6" kits that had caught my eye are:

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_6x.html

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16207_012.htm

and a 4":

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_4x.html

thanks for the input!!
39.5x16.50R16 pitbull rocker extremes
Homemade Bumpers and rock sliders
check us out at www.tucsonoffroad.net
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your desired outcome? What size tires? What kind of use?

Most often, 6" is way more than anyone needs. 35" tires can easily be run on a 4" lift. There is a huge jump between 4" and 6" lifts. Above 4", it's recommend to upgrade to a long arm suspension. Short arms are put at really steep angles with tall lifts, degrading ride quality and handling, as well as introducing some quirky, undesirable movements of the suspension like significant rear steer and the axles moving towards the center of the vehicle upon extension.

You're still likely to need the SYE and CV shaft with the 4" lift and even if you don't need it to cure vibrations, it's still a good thing to do to avoid bending the t-case output shaft or over extending the slip yoke.
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for now its my daily driver but i dont plan on it always being that, i didnt want to buy a 4" lift and then later on want to get that extra 2" and have to buy a whole new kit, ultimately i want to be able to run 36's but 35's should be fine too, so a short arm 6" lift wouldn't be a good thing to do for a rock crawler? too many angles im guessing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbaedc wrote:
...so a short arm 6" lift wouldn't be a good thing to do for a rock crawler? too many angles im guessing

No. And IMO, it wouldn't be good for much else either.
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, ok, yeah im looking for something that will perform decent on and off road, the reason the rough country 6" caught my eye was because of how much cheaper it is vs the long arm 6" lifts... but you get what you pay for i guess
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go with the 4" and install a BL if more height is wanted. At least that's what I would do!
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
You could go with the 4" and install a BL if more height is wanted. At least that's what I would do!

that wouldnt mess with anything? i have the 2" BB on it now, if i left that on and did a 4" that wouldnt mess with the steering and driveline? or just not any more than the 4" would already?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By BL I meant body lift. If you used the coil spacers with a 4" lift, it would produce the same negative effects as a 6" short arm lift.
bubbaedc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh ops i miss read that lol i understand now, thanks!
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbaedc wrote:
Orangeamc13 wrote:

that wouldnt mess with anything? i have the 2" BB on it now, if i left that on and did a 4" that wouldnt mess with the steering and driveline? or just not any more than the 4" would already?

BL ≠ BB

BL = Body Lift
BB = Budget Boost

Stacking 2" BB spacers on top of 4" lift springs is essentially no different than 6" lift springs. Again, not a great idea on short arms and more often than not, more lift than is truly required.
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4 inch Rough Country and a 1 inch body any it works well for climbing. I have installed the 6 inch Rough Country on a friends Jeep and that also is a good set up. No matter which one you get make sure you add the Rough Country adjustable control arms. This allows for drive line adjustment and better flex of the suspension. Also invest in some good adjustable track bars and Sway bar disconnects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: