Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AC Causes Coolant leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: AC Causes Coolant leak Reply with quote

I've got a '95 ZJ Orvis with the 5.2L and when I run the AC, I get a coolant leak after the engine heats up.

It seems to be coming from the top driver side corner of the radiator, but I can't see exactly where. Since it only leaks when hot I haven't pulled the radiator out yet. I couldn't get it to leak after running and reving it in the driveway for 15 min.

I was ready to swap out the whole radiator, but it seems to me if that were it, it would leak like that all the time, not just when the AC is on)

Any suggestions on what to check?

If I do replace the radiator, does anyone have any suggestions on a brand? (I was hoping to go cheaper than OEM)

Thanks, Jon
FARMER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, it was a crack in the tank at the seam. There was no way to fix it, I had to replace it.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time for a new radiator. The engine will run a bit warmer with the a/c on, more heat equals more pressure.
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I was coming to that conclusion, but holding out hoping it would be something cheaper as I'm driving from San Diego to WI in less than three weeks.

The upside is that this will mean I have an almost entirely new cooling system as the waterpump, thermostat, supply hose, return hose and bypass hose have all been replaced in the last year. Confused

Any suggestions on a replacement or should I just suck it up and go OEM. Is there any place to get a good price on one? I don't really like the idea of a boneyard radiator.

'95 ZJ Orvis Edition 5.2L V8 with 210K+ miles Featuring a 2" Budget Boost with Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 242 T-case swap, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 30x9.5s, cold air intake, throttle body spacer, 136A alternator and a DIY roof rack spare carrier.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay used to have some all metal replacements.. for about $140

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read in 4wd & Sport Utility about Novak conversions (http://www.novak-adapt.com/) making a radiator for a ZJ but it may have been a one off just for the magazine.
Otherwise summitracing.com has one:

PLI-431347 Proliance Ready-Rad Radiators
Radiator, Direct Fit, Aluminum/ Plastic, Natural, Jeep, Grand Cherokee/ Grand Wagoneer 1993-98, 5.2/ 5.9L, Eac...
Today $155.69

Quadratec.com has two:

Radiator for 93-97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ with V-8
Click here for details $209.99 #51210.17

RADIATOR 1998 ZJ 5.2L, 5.9L V8
Click here for details $279.99 #52449.5207

Jcwhitney.com has one

SPECTRA PREMIUM REPLACEMENT RADIATORS
Replace your tired-out, rusty and leaky stock radiator with a brand-new radiator made to custom fit your auto's make and model perfectly. Free-flowing water passages ensure greater heat dissipation for better cooling efficiency. 100% leak tested; for all American and Import cars, trucks, SUVs, vans, motor homes and bus chassis.
FITS 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Customer Review:Read all 17 reviews
Retail: $114.99 - $186.78
Our Low Price: $114.99
You Save: $71.79

I also checked 4wd.com and they only had one for the 4.0 and I checked Jegs.com since their prices seem to be cheaper than summit but apparently they don't sell radiators for the ZJ. Furthermore I checked JeepConnection.com and they don't seem to have any radiators either. I'm not sure about the differences in the prices but some are dual row others are single row. Also the build materials are different some are aluminum and others are copper and brass. I don't know which is preferable to the other, you may want to call one of these companies and ask someone in their technical/customer service departments.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

nixt,

Thanks for the links. I was searching on my own, but kept finding brands with names like "Aftermarket" and no description or reviews that just made me cautious.

I was searching from work too and getting along on the ol' interweb is a slooow process from the ship.

I think I'll go with the one offered by JCWhitney, it has plastic tanks, but everyone seemed happy with them

'95 ZJ Orvis Edition 5.2L V8 with 210K+ miles Featuring a 2" Budget Boost with Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 242 T-case swap, JKS Quicker Disconnects, 30x9.5s, cold air intake, throttle body spacer, 136A alternator and a DIY roof rack spare carrier.
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: AC Causes Coolant leak Reply with quote

ZJRas,
I just read your reply to my suggestions and I have a few questions for you:
Quote:
I was searching from work too and getting along on the ol' interweb is a slooow process from the ship.

Where in the hell are you at? I see that you claim San Diego as your home- Are you in the Navy? What ship are you on? Are you out at sea right now? Anyway let us all know if you're in the military since I'm sure all of us here on the forum would like to thank you for your service.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Yep, Navy Reply with quote

nixt wrote:

Where in the hell are you at? I see that you claim San Diego as your home- Are you in the Navy? What ship are you on? Are you out at sea right now? Anyway let us all know if you're in the military since I'm sure all of us here on the forum would like to thank you for your service.
-nixt

Yep, I'm in the Navy in San Diego, currently stationed aboard USS Boxer (LHD 4). We just got back from a two-month humanitarian mission to Guatemala, El Salvador and Peru at the end of June. Unfortunately, this site is one of the few I can't access from the boat.

Well, I got the radiator switched out this evening and everything seems to be fine. The old one had a 3" hairline crack on one of the tanks.

I also got my Rusty's air tube and big K&N cone filter installed, as well as replacing the fuel filter and a good old oil change.

Tomorrow is 2" budget boost, Skyjacker Hydro shocks, tire rotation and maybe new brake rotors.

nixt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is your fuel filter? Mine's supposedly inside the tank and it's also integrated with the pump and sending unit. So did you have to drop the tank to get at the filter? Furthermore, how much did your filter cost?
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
ZJ_Ras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Fuel Filter Reply with quote

My Fuel filter is under the Jeep above the rear axle just to the inside of the driver's side frame rail.

It only takes about 20 minutes to change and a Fram replacement was just under $10.

There was a guy at the store who was trying to return the exact same filter as I was buying mine because he couldn't find a filter on his '97 ZJ. I even showed him where mine was, but he said his Jeep didn't have one. He had just had to drop his tank and replace his fuel pump and couldn't find one after tracing the fuel lines.

I guess on some the one built into the pump is the only filter?

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 97 in the tank??

I know the fuel pressure reg is .. But I thought the filter was still inline..

Hmmmm...

I found this.. http://www2.partstrain.com/partlisting/full/jeep/grand_cherokee/fuel_filter_kit/1997/1998.html?ptc=S1171391678W45d204bec356b&ptk=1997+1998+Jeep+Grand+Cherokee+Fuel+Filter+Kit+-+Jeep+97+98+Fuel+Filter+Kit

Looks like its still inline. Now that you know what it looks like all you have to do is get under there and follow the fuel line.. rofl rofl

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Haynes repair manual:
Quote:
Only 1993 through 1996 models use a replaceable inline fuel filter. The manufacturer does not suggest periodic fuel filter replacement on 1997 through 1999 models. On these models the fuel filter is inside the fuel tank;
Quote:
On 2000 and later models, there is an external fuel filter mounted on the chassis near the fuel tank. However, it is part of the fuel pressure regulator and only needs to be replaced if the vehicle exhibits a trouble code for the fuel regulator.

So apparently the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator are part of the fuel pump module located inside the fuel tank. I don't know if you can buy parts for the fuel pump module or if it's the kind of thing where you just have to replace the whole module at once. My fuel gauge keeps bouncing off of "E" so the dealership wanted $600 to drop the fuel tank and replace the module. Everything still works fine, the engine never cuts out it's just a little annoying especially at night when the low fuel level light keeps coming on, flashing, and then going off. I just go by the odometer so that I never have to worry about running out of fuel (as long as I remember to reset the trip odometer every time I fill up with gas and I always fill the tank all the way up.)
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: