Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98 xj Diesel wiring diagrams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: 98 xj Diesel wiring diagrams Reply with quote

Hi all . I've got a 98 xj with the 2.5L VM Turbo Diesel. Not many of these still alive here in N.Z. far as I can tell but I love driving mine (284 thou. clicks...) although I've been reduced to a jibbering wreck now and again dealing with various engine issues. I have a Manual for the Diesel version but doesn't include Electrics. The Diesel XJ has a starting sequence involving two Dash lights. One is the usual Glow Plug indicator light but these also have an ignition key symbol with Line through it that lights up . You require for both to go out before starting. Went to go out the other night and the key symbol didn't light and she's now very hard to start . Once running she won't rev freely and stalls .I suspect Glow plug/s or the relay or the injector pump ???. If anyone can help with the wiring layout I'd be grateful as I start checking... Cheers.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to check the glow plugs check resistance of all of them with a ohm meter , if one is way different thats the bad plug .

glow plugs dont affect running unless they stay on which they would just burn out .

more of a pump problem .

replace the relays what are they worth 5$ .

sorry , know nothing about the engine and don't have a diagram wish i could be more help .

guessing its not a mechanical pump and is electronically controlled ?

a bad ignition switch does all sorts of neat stuff to the vehicle .
beaglebus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Your comment re the Ignition switch has got my attention cause when I think about it , the initial symptom was basicaly that the ignition system didnt recognise the key..(Key must have a micro chip or something cause I once had a copy key cut but although it fitted and the the engine would start, it would die after a few seconds).Everything else seems to check out so ignition switch it is...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: