Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jeep xj cherokee 1994 HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ms-loveable

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: jeep xj cherokee 1994 HELP Reply with quote

I have been told by my mechanic that he can replace the bulb in the headlamp. I would like to know if it is a sealed unit or can this be done or can I do this myself
kaos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '93 XJ, built for the Canadian market, definitely had sealed units, and I think the US type had those too. OTOH, XJ's built for the european market had H4 headlamps with bulbs. I don't know which you use in Australia, but it is simple to take apart to check. Only tool required is a Philips (cross) head screwdriver.

1. Remove the side marker lens, fixed with two screws to the headlight besel.
2. Remove one or two screws behind the marker that secure the bezel to the body. Also remove screws on the front of the bezel. Remove bezel.
3. You should now see the sheetmetal surround that holds the headlamp in place, secured with four screws. CAUTION; THE LAMP WILL FALL OUT ONCE THE SURROUND IS REMOVED. So, make sure to support it with your free hand as you remove the last screw.
4. Now you have the lamp in your hands, and it should be obvious whether it is a sealed unit, with the contacts sticking straight out of the glass, or if it has bulb in the rear. CAUTION; NEVER TOUCH THE GLASS OF A HALOGEN BULB WITH YOUR HANDS. Always handle them by the contact end only.

--
Regards,
Kári.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: