Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 gc air conditioning issues HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaBeL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: 99 gc air conditioning issues HELP Reply with quote

I have a 99 grand cherokee. Last year I was told I had a small leak in my evaporator. I tried to charge the system with 2 cans of 134-a refrigerant with a leak seal. It worked for about 2 months. Yesterday I put on the ac and it wasn't blowing any cool air. I figured i leaked out the coolant so I added another can. Since then when I put on the ac, the clutch on the compressor wont engage for more than 5 seconds. ALSO there seems to be some sort of a valve on the top left of the compressor that sprays out before the clutch disengages.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... Spraying out of a valve at the top of the compressor....

take a pic of this valve and post it up..

Sounds like its prolly a bad o ring seal ...

First off ... The cycling of the AC is caused by low gas level.. More freon will fix that.. But before you put more freon you need to stop the leak..

If you dont have a vacuum pump I would suggest taking it to an AC shop.. Show them where its leaking and let them fix it..

Cause when you open the system you are not only going to loose all of your gas you are also going to contaminate your system..

I am an AC tech (among other things. ) so I am supposed to tell you to never open the system.. Minimal loss and all that... So consider that said..

You have to vacuum out the system after you open it because 1 drop of moisture or a little dirt will ruin the performance of your system..

If the shop wants to change the air dryer that is up to you.. I would personally not do it..

Fix your problem... Vacuum it good .. Leave a vacuum on it for 15 to 30 mins and make sure its not leaking... Then charge it back up and be on your way....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BaBeL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was spraying out of a release valve on the upper left corner (when you are looking at the clutch head on) I took it to the shop today. there was pleanty of 134-a. The pressure was near 40 while running. the clutch would engage for a few seconds then stop and the pressure would drop to 20. tomorrow Im going to vacum out the system and try again. Also is it worth it to install an aftermarket evaporator because it is like 1/2 the price of factory?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: