Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having a problem with power windows. need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTSHIRT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Having a problem with power windows. need help Reply with quote

First off the Jeep is a 1991 Cherokee Laredo 4dr and here is the issue. The driver can roll down every window except the front passenger window. There is no noise from the passenger motor or any movement at all. The switch on the passenger window doesn't work either so I am not sure if it is bad wiring or motor or what.

Here is the second problem I found last night. The rear driver and passenger windows roll down, but only the DRIVER can do it. The two rear switches do not work, and the window safety lock is off.

Do the switches themselves break? Or is it the honey colored box they plug into the problem. I want to get my windows working again. If anyone can help please let me know!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably the main switch that's in the driver door that is malfunctioning. You can try to clean it or replace it.
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: none Reply with quote

You can verify this by taking the switch off and try jumping the wires. So your bypassing the switch.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on my 2 door....only the driver side switch would roll down the pass side window. That led me to believe that it was the pass side switch that was bad. But a meter and using jumper wires to test proved otherwise. It was the drivers side switches.

At least on mine (97), it's a sealed unit....making it very difficult to open and clean the contacts. I just got a new one.

First thing I would do is pull the pass side door panel and put 12V directly to the motor...just to make sure you don't have 2 problems. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CTSHIRT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given part # 56000 6571 but the guy from the dealer couldn't tell me what was all included. Is it the entire plastic with switches etc. like I would have to remove from my door? It was $115 so I want to make sure it's the right thing.

ThePhantum wrote:
I had a similar problem on my 2 door....only the driver side switch would roll down the pass side window. That led me to believe that it was the pass side switch that was bad. But a meter and using jumper wires to test proved otherwise. It was the drivers side switches.

At least on mine (97), it's a sealed unit....making it very difficult to open and clean the contacts. I just got a new one.

First thing I would do is pull the pass side door panel and put 12V directly to the motor...just to make sure you don't have 2 problems. Wink
CTSHIRT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I am getting closer!! I was able to find the wires on my 91 that looked like the write up for the 97-01 found here http://soxja.org/images/pics/Bypass/Bypass.html

I did this and the the two rear doors can now roll down their own windows. ALSO the passenger window can roll down using the passenger switch only. Here is the bad news i can't roll it back up!! I was able to make a bridge, I took the two positive wires from the passenger switch and connected both of them to the orange power feed coming into the passenger switch box. When I did this it gave power to my window switch on the passenger side, and I could roll up my window. However! by making this bridge it creates a direct short to the dome light fuse which controls my power locks.

So right now I can get my passenger window to work at the expense of my power locks and dome light. If anyone has ANY advise on how I can wire this so I can use both please let me know. I'm blowing through fuses and I can't seem to find a way to have both working.
CTSHIRT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem! Wires were broken between the switch and the harness connector. They are located inside the boot between the drivers door and the interior of the jeep. I suppose with the driver door opening and closing so much the wires became weak and snapped. You can see that 4 wires had snapped and other wires were about to break.
This is the boot

Here is what was broken

As soon as I fixed these wires everything worked again. I also had an issue with my drivers door where it had to be shut in order to unlock the doors. I was able to fix that problem as well.

So for everyone who has a problem with their power windows or locks check here before anything else! I spent hours testing switches and finding what wires had power etc. and all along this was the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: