Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas Tank Skid - Skid Row VS. Kilby (and Warn copy)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Gas Tank Skid - Skid Row VS. Kilby (and Warn copy) Reply with quote

So, I obviously want to protect the tank, but not sure why to go with one over the other. Skid Row is an easy install and offers the same protection, right? Not a bad price either! What do you all think?

TIA
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skid Row bolts over the existing gas tank skid. Kilby and Warn raise the tank up one inch by replacing the OEM skid. For the extra money, I'd go with one of the latter two.
BlueJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Skid Row Skid Reply with quote

I have the Skid Row gas tank skid. It was very easy to install, just put it over the stock skid. I think you have to drop the tank for the Kilby and Warn models. Take a good look at what supports the Kilby and Warn ones - one of my L brackets holding the rear passenger side in place has been bent into an R shape, and doesn't hold the skid in the place it's supposed to. I've asked Skid Row (through County Chrysler) for a replacement bracket, but haven't heard from them yet.
gprecon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Skid Row skid plate will serve its purpose, but I so prefer the Kilby/Warn alternatives due to the fact that clearance under the gas tank isn't compromised. Its a no-brainer, IMO. Kilby/Warn install isn't too difficult - in fact, I don't think I encountered one "gotcha" when I installed my Kilby. That says alot, because I enouncter "gotchas" when I install things as simple as valve stem caps.
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help! We had some snags installing PAJeeper's, but that could have been the folks we were with Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I'm most likely going with the Warn, I got a quote for under $160 with $15 shipping..
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to Keith: Don't let Dan and I do the install! Embarassed
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone's kidding about the install (re: Dan the Destroyer Laugh ), but the OEM setup is half assed at best with all the damn plastic connectors. I hadda swap out my fuel pump and did it by myself, did the same thing to my tank......and hadda make the same trip to First Class for a replacement tank Wink . I know it's an industry standard, but that plastic is damn fragile.
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
I know everyone's kidding about the install (re: Dan the Destroyer Laugh ), but the OEM setup is half assed at best with all the damn plastic connectors. I hadda swap out my fuel pump and did it by myself, did the same thing to my tank......and hadda make the same trip to First Class for a replacement tank Wink . I know it's an industry standard, but that plastic is damn fragile.

Polyvinal cloride does not react well with gas fumes, it wears down and becomes brittle....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black2001TJ wrote:
Thanks for all the help! We had some snags installing PAJeeper's, but that could have been the folks we were with Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

I'm most likely going with the Warn, I got a quote for under $160 with $15 shipping..

You do remember that Bob Supplee quoted me $156 shipped for the Warn skid, correct????
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Black2001TJ wrote:

You do remember that Bob Supplee quoted me $156 shipped for the Warn skid, correct????

D'Oh, do now, your the man!! I'll call Bob this week, he's been a pleasure to deal with anyway..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: