Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4cyl headache PLEASE HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: 4cyl headache PLEASE HELP! Reply with quote

2004 TJ with the lil 4 banger.

This is mainly my ladys DD we have our other Jeep that is a trail rig. to the point----> my lady ran out of gas damn near. got to the station filled up then went to start it and nothing. no crank no nadda. the guages were bouncing around all possesed like.

the lights were on but dim so i checked the battery fluid. it was low so i filled it up. then gave her a jump. i got it to start but i had to gas it up a little bit to get it to wake up. as soon as i removed pressure form the throttle the RPMs dropped all the way down stumbled and died. i was thinking maybe there is air in the gas lines or some shit so i kept it started and the RPMs up to clear the lines. it finally idled but died as soon as i put it in park Now this was making me wonder so i was inspecting the engine and engine bay fuses and vaccum lines... and when my lady gave it throttle i heard a loud whoosh from the intake manifold/ TB area. now i couldnt quite find the leak but it appears to be the seam of the plastic manifold.

now i need this damn thing running so my chick can get to and from school. 250+ from the stealership isnt something i want to do. id rather use the duckets for a 4.0.
for a temporary fix is duct tape a bad idea? since its plastic it wont get to to hot... the red neck in me is saying do it, but i know it isnt to smart.
any one have a solution or input id sure appreciate it. thanks
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the POS plastic intake manifold usually crack or break? i really dont want to replace it with the exact same POS plastic junk.

could the whoosh be from some thing else?

i hate this little bitch engine. where can i find a 4.slow for cheap?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I got it started and kept on the gas to keep it alive..... whileunder the hood i accelerated and tried to find the leak but couldnt find anything it. i used a little tb cleaner and sprayed differant areas of the intake to see if the RPM's fluxuated but nothing.

after i ran it for a few and the it no longer needed extra gas to idle and we drove it home. now im wondering if the whoosh of air is normal? lol thatd be cool if i didnt have to buy anything and all of this happened cus my lady ran bone dry out of gas.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was just out of gas. Maybe it sucked in some sort of contaminate from the bottom of the tank. That whoosh is normal.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today it didnt want to stay started! i could get it to start but as soon as i let go of the gas it wont idle. help me out bro! i dont know much about these engines
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the fuel pump was damaged from running out of gas i wouldnt be able to even start it correct??? much less rev the engine right?
02tj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
if the fuel pump was damaged from running out of gas i wouldnt be able to even start it correct??? much less rev the engine right?

Not 100% true......
You need to check the pressure.apon start-up and constant. Bet the fuel pump module is done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damnit. i didnt want to hear that but suspected. let me guess its an intank pump like my ZJ was?

fun fun fun..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: