Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros and cons for a 249 to nv242 swap

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Sorry orange, had swamp in my head...lol
Thanks, for your help...betteryet thanks everyone!
You got me leanin tward the 231 now.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.car-part.com . It may help your search.
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '96 and newer 249 will lock in 4Lo. But that doesn't mean that you should go out and buy another one. The VC on the one you mentioned for $150 will go out and break again just like the one that you have now so go with a 242 or 231. 242's have the added 4hi part and full time features over the 231. The 231 will take more work to get into your ZJ but they are much more prevalent as they were offered in many more types of vehicles. The 231 probably has more aftermarket support but you can still get a SYE kit from Tom Woods ( http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html ) as well as 4:1 gear reduction sets from ( http://www.4x4now.com/4to1.htm ) for the 242. With the 231 you can get the option through a new shifter setup that will allow you to have 2 wheel drive Lo -but who in the hell is ever going to use that? According to http://www.drivetrain.com//transfercaseapp.html the 231 was only offered in the ZJ from 1993 to 1995 and there were two applications with different input shaft lengths and only one of those will work for you- if you're planning on not cracking the case open (like I did). But there are also options to upgrade the 231 to the "HD" model with heavy duty chain, two HD chain sprockets and syncro/slider. I personally prefer the 242 and I've been very happy with it since I've had it. If I were you, I'd get the one off of ebay since it's literally a direct swap without swapping anything or even cracking the case open; Ebay Link . Also, the case on ebay seems like a reasonable price -I don't remember exactly what I paid for mine but I think that it was somewhere around that. But before you go and spend $150 on a 249 let me know because I've got a 249 in my garage at home that still works and I'd sell it to you for less than $150.
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.

Last edited by nixt on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Swap Reply with quote

You covered everything once again. Thanks for taken the time. I am in the process of looking for a 231hd. I have read that its stronger and that wont hurt.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you getting a 231HD??

I took 231D out of a dodge truck.. And Took a Jeep 231J and took the chain and sprockets from the 231D and put them in the 231J case.. That way you get the heavy chain and big thick sprockets inside the 231 case that will fit easily in your Jeep..

The Dodge T case I found had the factory slip yolk which made it about 9" longer than the stock case..

Keep us informed on what you do...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: 231hd Reply with quote

Here is a little info that I found that is kinda my starting point for my hunt:
Its from "Wikipedia"I will keep you informed
Command-Trac
Command-Trac (NP/NV-231 or NP-207) was introduced along with the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) in 1984. The system offers a basic chain-driven, aluminum, "shift-on-the-fly" transfer case. The "shift-on-the-fly" feature provides manual ease and assist while engaging gears. Although Command-Trac does include 4x4 capabilities, it can only be driven under temporary usage; due to the front and rear axles locking, giving out extra traction, therefore it cannot be driven on dry pavement under most circumstances. 4-wheel modes are most commonly used for wet/slick surfaces or extreme weather conditions (rain, snow, etc.) (4H), towing (N), and off-road activities (4L). Even though Command-Trac was created over 20 years ago, it is still readily available in the Jeep Liberty and Jeep Wrangler even now.

There was a modified version known as NP-231 HD which was supposedly (SP) a "heavy duty" version for the Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ with big V8 Engines. The NP/NV-231 case was a chain driven that takes a 21 or 23 spline input shafts. Where the 23 spline was for the AX-15 transmission, and the 21 spine was used for the AX-5 and BA 10/5 transmissions. Low range for this case was 2.72 and high range was 1.00

Totally admitted from this initial publication is the Command-Trac HD transfer case used in 6-speed Liberty KJ's from 2005–2007. Although sometimes referred to as the "NV(NP)231HD, " the transfer cases are labeld as "NV(NP)241J." This is not the NV241OR transfer case found in the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the only brand inside the company marque to totally discontinue this 4WD system from its lineup during mid-production (unlike the XJ whose entire lineup was dropped rather than Command-Trac itself). The reason behind this was its poor sales along with the SE trim among consumers, an improved Selec-Trac and simplistic Quadra-Trac had the convenience and comfort of "Full-Time" 4WD that Command-Trac obviously lacked for luxury SUVs; it was quickly dropped from the ZJ platform in 1996

Applications:

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) 1984–2001
Jeep Comanche (MJ) 1986–1992
Jeep Wrangler (YJ, TJ, JK) 1987–Present
Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 1993–1995
Jeep Liberty (KJ) 2002–Present
zjtherightway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: List of transmissions for all jeeps Reply with quote

I started to look for the transmission I had in my Jeep and came across this. Its a great list of trannies with pics for all Jeeps.

http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/
XIONG1
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very great~!
Keep up the great work~!
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://www.drivetrain.com//transfercaseapp.html#Upgrade%20heavy%20duty%20NP231D the 231HD was offered in the Durango from 1998-1999 DTS309-1 NP231D-HD 23 Spline front input, 32 spline slip rear output, w/o speedo hole, fixed front output yoke, tow wire shift indicator above shift lever, .840" exposed input shaft---See Upgrade. If you wanted or found one of these you'd need another 231 case to add on the speed senor hole. You'd need a new driveshaft anyway because the output shaft has 32 splines. Or you could get a slip yoke eliminator instead since they come with a speed sensor built into them. www.novak-adapt.com
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: