Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clutch....Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloridaJeep11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Clutch....Help Reply with quote

Finally after over 150K miles on my '98 TJ, clutch is about to go i think......
does anyone have any sugestions on previous experience on what type/brand to use. Mostly hwy with some off-road driving.
Sad thanks for the help.....
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with replacement Jeep clutches. However, it appears that you wouldn't be wrong if you just used a stock replacement. I think 150,000 miles is good service.

If you are going to change the way you use it, then maybe you might want to go with a heavy duty version, but crap......150,000 miles is good service.

I think I said that twice.......
FloridaJeep11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: cluth Reply with quote

oh ok thanks.
I think I've got my $$ worth out of that clutch. A mechanic once told me that a OEM clutch it should last about 75,000 miles. But I guess it all depends on the usage or/and abuse you put on it.
I was thinking on getting it from Quadratec "Centerforce II"
it is $259.99 bucks though. I'm just wondering if it's really worth the xtra $$. Very Happy
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I have no experience with aftermarket clutches....I don't keep one long enough to wear one out. So I will offer no opinion other than if it was mine, I would sure think about replacing it with a stocker.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have 150k miles on my TJ, but Iím not sure if the clutch is the factory unit. If it is, it still grabs pretty good. I did however change the throw-out bearing over the weekend due to catastrophic failure.
This was one of the most difficult replacement chores I have done on any vehicle I have owned (this is the first 4X4 with a manual trans.). The ďHanesĒ repair manual that I bought TJ didnít provide enough detail for the job, and made me guess at a couple things, like the exhaust.
Also Jeep canít make up there F-ing mind on the use of standard or metric hardware, not to mention the two bolts at the top of the trans that require E-14 Torx sockets! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!

After many hours, I got it back together and it drives fine, but now it makes an intermittent rattling noise that it didnít make before. If I tap the peddle it goes away.
I know itís a Jeep, and Jeeps do make funky clunky noises from time to time, but it concerns me if I did the job right or not.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: