Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tires already chunking

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: New Tires already chunking Reply with quote

Okay, I just bought two new Goodyear MT/R's in size 235/85R16 (measure out to 32") for my two rear wheels today and within a few hours or so I took my ZJ off road at my Parent's Property outside of Atlanta. They've got 25 acres and they recently added a garage/workshop/guesthouse on the property. There was like 30 dump truck loads of dirt hauled to the other end of the property-most was spread out, filled in holes, or left in one of three giant mounds (10 to12 feet tall). So I'm over there finding out that my favorite trail had been filled in and flattened with fill dirt, so I decided to climb one of the huge mounds. There was grass on top of it so I didn't think it would be so loose but after putting the T-case in 4-lo and sawing on the wheel back and forth I made it over. Then I drove back to the house. When I got back I checked the front and rear tires- the fronts looked exactly the same as they had before, but the two new rear tires suffered a hell of a lot of chunking, gashes and tears. I was really surprised at this. Here are a few pictures:

What causes this? All I drove over was loose Georgia red clay without any rocks. I know that it's a big tire for 3.75" of lift, but I've also had the bumpstops extended to keep them out of the wheel wells at full stuff. I also noticed that the damage was mainly on the passenger side rear tire. I got the road hazard warranty on the tires-should I take them back? What can I do to prevent this from happening again? Any help would be appreciated!
1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited W/242 swap
JKS disconnects & Garmin GPS
Heavy duty OME Suspension kit
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every one of the slices you showed a picture of looks similar. I'd strongly suspect you spun your tires on something that was sharp and sliced the tires. In one of the pics, you can even see the slice from one lug to the next right in line with each other.
04 Unlimited

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: