Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ to ZJ Front axle swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: XJ to ZJ Front axle swap Reply with quote

Is the XJ reverse rotation Dana 30 w/the front axle disconnect and ABS a direct fit/swap for the ZJ? I want to keep the ABS since my ZJ is my daily driver and I'd like the axle disconnect so that everything in the front end isn't spinning when I'm driving and I'd like to install a limited slip/locker in the front end so I can totally turn off the limited slip when I'd like to. I'd also install the 4x4 Posi-Lok Front Axle Vacuum Actuator Eliminator. Which brings me to another question-what year XJ should I look for to get ABS and the front end disconnect as well as reverse rotation? Furthermore, do you have to get a different type of locker for the reverse rotation axle? Any help or input will be greatly appreciated!
-nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really reverse rotation.. It still rotates the same but the pinion pushes instead of pulls.. Because it sits at the top of the ring gear (high pinion) as opposed to the bottom(low pinion) ..

But to answer your question.. I think the only way to get ABS is to swap out your nuckles.. (not sure if that will even work) and yes.. The locker is specific for High pinion (here to fore called HP) axles..

The HP axles are about 30% stronger but the weak point in the old disconnect axles is the sleeve the connects the passenger 2 piece axle.

You will also have to buy some means of shifting the disconnect.. (4x4 posi-lock)

If i where you I would look for a non disconnect axle (cause you can get them with ABS) and then save up and get a selectable locker...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
badger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
and yes.. The locker is specific for High pinion (here to fore called HP) axles..

This is not true a Dana 30 locker is a dana 30 locker its all in the ring gear.A low pinion ring and pinion set will not work in a high pinion housing and vise-versa .

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH!!!

Thats what I meant to put.. I was trying to put that full lockers are ratio specific.. But I lost my train of thought.. rofl rofl

Anyway.. Ill put it now.. Lockers are the same but there is a carrier break..

3:73 and up is different than 3:55 But only in full lockers.. The lock rights will still work..

Just make sure what gear ratio you want before you order your locker..

I am still watching TV so if I got something wrong blame it on my inattention... rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lifted my jeep, put on 32" tires so now I still have the stock 3.73 gears. I called Randy's ring and pinion and the guy there told me that my best bet was to go to 4.11 gears since they are the only ones besides the 4.56's that are available for the aluminum dana 44 rear axle. Also, I can get 4.11's in either reverse or standard rotation for the dana 30. So for all the specs I wanted High pinion, ABS, and vacuum disconnect, I guess I need to look for an 89 through 91 XJ axle (at least according to: http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=953 ) is the two piece passenger side shaft the only real downside to the disconnect axle?

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Editing my last post. I called randy's again and I found out that I'd have to get a one piece passenger side axle shaft; eliminating the disconnect to even run a locker. So now I don't know if having a High pinion front end is even worth all of the effort. But the guy at randy's said that the Auburn Ected selectable limited slip/locker (locker when the switch is turned to "on" limited slip when it's turned to "off") will work in either the High or low pinion 30 since the carrier is essentially the same. So I may just say screw it and keep my low pinion, get the 4.11's for the front and rear and then the ected for my front end. But since I have over 100,000 miles on it the guy told me I'd need a master kit to swap the gears which would add $119 for the front and $156 for the rear on top of the cost of the gears which would be $165 for the front and $230 for the rear. All this in addition to between $500 and $667.27 for the auburn ected locker. By the way, I called Auburn the other day and the technical service department people didn't even know if the limited slip would function if I've got the T-case in 2wd High since it's not getting power from the engine through the transfer case and front driveshaft. I've gotten different responses from every catalog company I've called and even two different replies from Randy's from two different people. So I'm expecting a call back from Auburn's head engineer tomorrow and hopefully he'll know the answer to my question. As soon as I hear back from Auburn I'll post the response they give me.
Thanks,
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
fishjrl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just did the swap not for fun but out of necessity. i think you could switch the knuckles but i dont know. they seemed the same. the abs sensors are different so i just tucked mine up into the frame (abs didnt work in the 1st place). the ground clearance gained is incredible. my driveshaft angles seem better than ever and the driveshaft is up and out of the way. luckily i didnt know my original gear ratio and the axle i put in was the same.

i mainly went with the xj axle because i couldnt find another zj axle with u-joints. and i figured i mine as well upgrade when i break something. the swap went very smoothly otherwise and it is a big improvement. but it is worth the extra money to replace things like ball joints and u-joints
nixt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally talked to Mike an engineer at Auburn Gear today. He actually had to go ask another engineer and then call me back twice. He confirmed for me that their (and most likely all) lockers would not work with a disconnect axle since it would basically sense a difference in motion between the two axle shafts when the axle is disconnected and wear itself out very quickly. When Mike called me back a second time, after talking to another engineer, he told me that the limited slip would function to a very limited degree when I've got the Transfer case in 2wd and there is no engine power going to the front axle. He said it would probably be unnoticeable after about a week of driving with it he also told me that the limited slip would function as a normal limited slip/locker and probably be much more noticeable when I have the t-case in 4wd. He said that in 2wd the limited slip would function to a limited degree because of the fact that the front axle still spins and the front drive shaft still spins when I'm driving down the road since the rotational motion of the tires is transmitted to the axle shafts and to the front drive shaft but the front limited slip/locker would only be effected by this to a limited degree. He also told me that it probably wasn't a great idea to engage the locker when I'm in 2wd since it would just cause a greater deal of wear and bindup that would give me no gain at all in traction.
Mike told me the problem that I was getting in asking all of these different people about whether or not the Ected LS/Locker would function in 2wd when there was no power going to it was that since it's electronically activated people were most likely confused as to what I meant by it getting "no power" and that they thought that I meant no electrical power (thereby forcing the locker to function in LS mode) when what I really meant was no mechanical power coming from the engine.
Fishjrl, how are the ABS systems different? According to http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14415 and to http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14453 both the XJ and the ZJ have wheel speed sensors as well as tone ring sensors located at the ends of each axle shaft. Now given the XJ technical service manual is for a 2000 XJ and the ZJ service manual is for a 1993 ZJ. The 2000 XJ used a low pinion axle just like the ZJ. I guess my main question for you is what year XJ did your axle come from? Also, aside from your trouble with the ABS, was the axle a direct swap? I don't know if it's really worth it for the axle swap if all I'd be getting is the high pinion- I'll have to try to figure out the ABS systems first.
-nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
XJwheelerZJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a nifty conversion for the vacuum engaged front axle involving a manual shifter look around i saw it in a magazine
the reason a lockright would work is that is just changing spider gears
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: