Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

power inverter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1999amethyst

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: power inverter Reply with quote

I want to be able to run my grinder and small welder and small other things on the trail if i need to. How many amps will be the best and would it be a good idea to run a second battery?
kaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A grinder might be doable with a large inverter. Bear in mind though that those inverters are generally designed to power computers and peripherals, and a large motor such as in a grinder is a quite different type of load. Also bear in mind that the rating of inverters, particularly the cheaper ones, is often somewhat optimistic. To run a grinder or other large motor appliance I would get an inverter that was rated at least 50% larger than the appliance and preferably more. I would also read the fine print on the warranty card to make sure I wouldn't be invalidating it by running a motor load.
You might want to consider on board air instead, for running power tools.

As for running a welder from an inverter, forget it. It is theoretically possible, but the kind of inverter that could handle that kind of load would fill your cargo space and probably cost as much as your Jeep.
Some alternatives:
1. A petrol powered portable welder/generator.
2. A modified extra alternator, which functions as a welder.
3. It is, I understand, possible to weld with two or three 12V batteries connected in series. It is far from ideal, as you have no fine control of the current, but it has been done in emergencies.

--
Regards,
Kri
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An inverter capable of a small welder is beyond the realm of average. Look into a good on-board welder if you want one like the MobiArc or the Premiere Power Welder.

As Kari noted, the angle grinder is possible but look into it's power requirements and then see what an inverter capable of powering it will cost.
1999amethyst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen guys do it what if it created around 3000 amps how much more would be needed?
kaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Are you talking about an inverter delivering 3000A? At 115V? That would mean an apparent power rating of 345 kilowatts! Yes, such a beast would easily handle a welder. In fact it could pretty much manage the power needs of a small village Very Happy . If such a thing exists, I can promise you that you will not be powering it from one, or even two, car batteries.

No disrespect meant, but either I'm completely misunderstanding you, or somebody has been pulling your leg.

--
Regards,
Kri
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1999amethyst wrote:
Ive seen guys do it what if it created around 3000 amps how much more would be needed?

Do yourself a favor and start doing some research.

Here's a 2500W power inverter I found online.
http://www.theinverterstore.com/the-inverter-store-product.php?model=2500gp01#

From the numbers, it appears like it draws 208A/12V DC and is capable of 21A/120V AC. Do you realize what kind of wiring and fuses you'll need to handle that continuous draw? A Millermatic 140 draws 20A @ 115V and that's a relatively small welder. Then factor in the $600 cost of the welder plus the $200 cost of the inverter and that's not including a higher capacity alternator capable of feeding the inverter. Then consider the amount of space the inverter and welder take up. Have you figured out this is a bad idea yet? Look into one of the onboard welders or the battery-powered welders if you want something mobile for your vehicle.
1999amethyst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah wouldn't be to hard. i have hooked up audio and video setups that draw more power than that.
http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/xpower_5000.html
this would work, its pricey but it would be really cool.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your stock alternator will handle that . your looking into dual battery's and a way bigger alt . your also going to have to upgrade your ground cables .

will that inverter put out a clean 60 hz , see how fast your grinder spins with out it .

de-walt makes a portable grinder , its a little wimpy but it gets the job done . buy expensive disc's and it shouldn't be a problem .

but hey its your truck , tell us how it works out .

grinders are usually around 7 amps .
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small 400w inverter that I baught for running Christmas lights on my TJ for a local parade. The alternator didn't have enough amps to power the lights at idle. It seems like the alt has just enough power to power the vehicle its self and not much else.
I had 3 strings of lights not sure how many amps each string is, but the inverters low power alarm came on, but when I brought the rpms up, the low power alarm turned off.

I looked at the TJ specs, and the 2.4L engine has a 136 amp alt. The 4.0 (witch is what I have) has a 117 amp alt. Shocked Maybe I should get a 2.4L alt.

Oh, btw yes I have had the alt tested.
DTF

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
1999amethyst

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the 136 amp that i got from a junkyard when mine went out on my 4.0
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking like a 180 amp . guess you will find out if the 136 can cut it or not . plus thats probably at 5000 rpm .
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1999amethyst wrote:
i have the 136 amp that i got from a junkyard when mine went out on my 4.0

Whatever we say, you've got an answer for. There are better ways to do what you want to do like I suggested above but it doesn't appear like you've even considered them. You're stuck on this "it would be cool" but you're failing to see the impracticality of the idea.

So...I'll just tell you what you want to hear. Go ahead. Install the inverter and run the welder. You won't have a single problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: