Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1993 cherokee purchase i need some honest help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloodyIRISH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: 1993 cherokee purchase i need some honest help? Reply with quote

hey people got some questions that i hope can be answered i'm looking at buying a 93 cherokee its got the i6 straight 6 and it has about 165,000 mile on it the guy said that it has a knocking in the engine while in idle it maybe the balencer but when it is driving its gone i do have plans to build an engine from the ground up but i would like to see if anyone has an idea of how long this motor may last i asked him to rate the sound from one to ten he said it was a four id also like to know if anyone has any sugestions on a motor i want to stick with the straight 6 i was thinking something like the 1991 mopar i6 powertech fuel injected and a twin turbo set up any sugestion would be kool insults not so much

thanx
FARMER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ajeepthing.com/stroker-motor.html
badger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first before anything else.

Learn how to use some punctuation.That was a pain to read.

Now on to the questions at hand.The motor could last for ever with a small knock it could last a few miles.There is no telling unless you hear it in person and have a clue as to what it is/could be.Could be as simple as a balancer ,could be a wrist pin,could be a main bearing,could be a stuck lift (though that is more of a tick then a knock),could be not firing right which is causing it to ping,etc,etc.

Really the problem could be anything and with out actually seeing it in person this is one of those things that can not be guessed at.

Oh as to your engine build.Good luck doing a twin turbo set up.Hope you have a very large wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket.If you build a proper stroker you are looking to spend $1000+ in parts alone not including the machine work that might have to be possibly done to the block or head.With a proper stroker you can easily produce 260~300 hp on pump gas.If you are shooting for anything more then that you are looking at spending even more money and time to make it happen.At 300+ you are talking about getting into water or methanol injection systems to help cool the air going into the block to stop pre-detonation .

Here is a thread on Pirate about a guy building a 400+ hp 4.0 motor.

EDIT: Fixed the link.
Orange

Last edited by badger on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
badger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orange.I just looked back at the post after reading something else and noticed I left out the last url tag to make the link work.Hit the edit button and saw you had done it for me.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bloodyIRISH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man thanx for the thread. that will help alot. i don't want to spend a small fortune on this engine. but i do want to get power. you seem to know quite a bit! and i apreciate your help. once i do somemore research on the subject. i'll make sure to leach more insight out of you LOL. thanx again. and is this alittle more legable?
badger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's better.Now you just need to capitalize ,lol.......I understand being lazy when it comes to typing .I was the same way when I first started out in different forums.But after a bit I realized it could be a struggle sometimes to read and understand when not properly written.

As to helping out,any time that's what I'm here for.

Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend bought a '93 with 164,XXX miles on it last March. It has a slight (very slight) knocking sound at low RPMs (1200 or less). Well, it has 175,XXX on it now and it hasn't asked for $1.00 in mechanical repair. It runs GREAT! As Jeeps should and usually do. My girlfriend bought hers for $2,500 in "upper good condition".

And... I have a '90 with 220,000 on it, it runs just fine.

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: