Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front driveshaft or pinion bearing issue on 01 WJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flywood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: front driveshaft or pinion bearing issue on 01 WJ Reply with quote

Hey all.. new here since I just got my first Jeep not long ago. It's been some time since I've owned a 4WD and my wife really wanted this one so I bought it "as is" looking clean, good with lots of power. Sometime while driving home from Maryland to New Jersey I noticed a sound coming from underneath. I thought it was coming from one of the front tires , (loose lug nuts maybe) or a broken ply. Once I got it home I pulled off all 4 tires and found no evidense of broken plys, worn hubs or loose lug nuts. I checked the front differential and found some evidence of minor leakage near the rear seal (rear pinion bearing area). I checked the driveshaft.. I have the sealed type where there doesn't appear to be any lube holes or fittings anywhere. Everything seems good with minor play.. nice and tight yet soon as the tires rolls I get this thump thump thump thump sound. It's almost like ( I can't be certain which is why I'm here asking this) one of the driveshaft bearings are tight.. it takes a bit more force to overcome it and then the driveshaft whips around and "thumps".

What I'd like to know is if anyone else has had this issue. I read in another forum that pinion bearing wear is a common thing in WJ's. The thing is mine doesn't squeal or start at 35 mph... my "sound" starts soon as the wheels roll and increases as the wheels speed up and then diminishes with speeds above 30 mph.

I've done all of the maintainence / repair work for all of my vehicles for many many years and have no problem replacing the rear pinion gear bearing/ seal if that's the issue. I would just like some knowledgable opinions on just what this sound might be ... driveshaft or pinion gear bearing..
flywood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have posted that it's possible one of my cv axles is worn.. This is something I didnt consider earlier but I'm just not sure. So is there anyone out there that's had a cv axle go bad on a WJ that could tell me the symptoms you had before you replaced it?
nicksjeep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

i had the same problem today with a 93 grand cherokee thought it was the front left hub assembley so i changed it and still got the thumping as it turns out its my front diff which was not leaking or anything but im told if you continue to drive on it first youll start smelling burning diff fluid then it ceases so mines bing fixed now and by the way i didnt even need the new hub assembly i just put on
flywood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jacked up and supported my WJ on jackstands yesterday. I placed the transfer case and transmission in neutral and spun both tires from below. Turns out what I thought looked like good tires are actually crap Futura Adventura H/T radials and both of my front tires have either bumps or flats spots on them. One moreso than the other. These tires are sold by Pep Boys and made by Cooper tire. I never bought tires from either and this is what was on the WJ when I bought it not long ago.. I also checked into Cooper tires in general, seems there's a lot of recalls this company has in general. Wasn't too surprised when I read there was a recall of the very same tire on mine. Not for the same problem but a problem with them nevertheless. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: