Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roof racks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1999amethyst

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: roof racks Reply with quote

Is there a link or something to where i can get some ideas on how to build my own. There just so expensive and i don't feel like buying one. also how much weight can the stock racks hold?
1999amethyst

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well i was thinking of building my own. What kind of materials would i make something like that out of? Im thinking of some kind of square tubing, any ideas?
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do some google searches man... There's lots of DIY builds out there.

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
eric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made mine out of conduit pipe. Its relatively light. The conduit is cheap. You can get a hand bender for the tubes cheap too. Iv'e been running with mine for about 2 years. I got Surco gutter mounts for under $40 from JCWhitney. All told about $150 in materials including hardware and paint. You can build exactly what you need. I've loaded it up to about 200 lbs total. My canoe takes two people to lift it up there.
________
HEMP MARIJUANA

Last edited by eric on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I made mine out of conduit pipe. Its relatively light. The conduit is cheap. You can get a hand bender for the tubes cheap too. Iv'e been running with mine for about 2 years. I got Surco gutter mounts for under $40 from JCWhitney. All told about $150 in materials including hardware and paint. You can build exactly what you need. I've loaded it up to about 200 lbs total. My canoe takes two people to lift it up there.

No Pics
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conduit pipe? That's some pretty thin wall stuff, yeah it's easy to bend, but get some weight shifting around and that's what it will do...bend, I'd at least use .062 wall round tube.
Alum. would'nt be bad to keep the weight down, and still be stronger than conduit tube.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
eric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use whatever you want. I'm cheap .062 round tube is expensive let alone aluminum. I used 3/4" for the peremiter pieces that got bent and 1/2" for the cross pieces. How much weight do you want up there? I have had my canoe, coolers, fuel cans, lumber, and recently a dresser up there. Maybe overdoing it a bit to put a Buick up there though. Seriously I made it about a year and a half ago and have had to freshen up the paint once. If I can lift it up there it will carry it.

I'm not saying that you couldn't use better materials, just a low buck alternative.

My first time posting pictures. The first one is only 3 days old. The rest are within a month of building it.

Edit by Orangeamc13: Fixed the IMG tags. You had two pairs per pic, you only need one pair. I fixed to post below also! Wink
________
E24

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good! How did you attach it to the roof brackets?
eric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Typical view of the gutter mount that I got from JCWhitney (set of 4) bolted right up to a couple of the cross bars.
________

bendixgomez
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using an aluminum tube could be fine, it is lighter that the iron steel or stainless steel, just the difference is the weight and the strength of those tubes... but for me i should used aluminum tube because it is light...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: