Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Synthetic Winch Rope. What kind/ What length/ How Long

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Synthetic Winch Rope. What kind/ What length/ How Long Reply with quote

So I just bought myself a winch and I am planning on replacing the winch line with synthetic winch rope. I was thinking about buying it from http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm but I am open to suggestions. I have a Warn 9000lb winch.

They have several different lengths/ diameters and I was just looking a little advice on what kind to buy. I'm leaning towards the 3/8" or 7/16", but am unsure of length.

5/16" x [80-150'], 13,700lb rope

3/8" x [80-150'], 20,400lb winch rope

7/16" x [75-150'], 23,925lb winch rope

1/2" x [100-150'], 36,250lb winch rope

All intelligent responses will be appreicated (sorry nikon neaner ).

Back from the Dead??

Last edited by qadhafi on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BlueJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Winch Line Reply with quote

Are you talking about synthetic winch line? I was just browshing today, but it looked like a 100' line (don't remember the width) was something like $500 plus. That's pretty expensive!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the list at the bottom of the Rockstomper site, I'd probably go with the 5/16" x 125'. Much better prices for the Amsteel line than the Warn synthetic line.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices are important, that is why I chose rockstomper. Warn wants like $600 for their synthetic rope and hell, I didn't give that for my winch.

I am leaning towards the 3/8" cause the breaking strenth is double what my winch can pull. The 5/16 breaks at like 13k. 3/8" breaks at like 20k.

I started this thread for advise on synthetic rope, length, and breaking strenghth. This is my first winch and I've never really had any experience with winches. Is 100' enough, or too much? Same with 125'. I'm probably going to get an extension line of about 50' anyway, so would I be ok to get 100'?

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Owen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qadhafi... I would go with the 3/8" x 125' 20,400lb winch rope because it covers you even with a snatch block. The 7/16 stuff is over a half inch thick and more strength than you need. Wink The 125 length will be a good length for the long pulls that require a snatch block. Shocked
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Owen, I ordered the 3/8 today from Rockstomper. I think I'm gonna order the 50' extension somewhere else, they were higher than anyone else on their extensions, but cheaper on their actual winch line. Wierd.

Oh something else, When I took the winch cable off there was this......funk shock ... on the drum. Kinda like graphite dust. What is the best way to clean a winch drum? If I was just gonna recable I wouldn't worry about it, but I figure that it won't be good for the synthetic winch rope. I was thinking a little simple green and a rag, but if anyone else has any ideas I'd appreciate them.

Back from the Dead??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: