Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newb from Delaware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwkirchner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Newb from Delaware Reply with quote

My name is Mark and I am 58 years young Very Happy

This is my 1st Jeep ever. My brother has had them for years and when I borrowed his to do some towing I fell in love and decided to sell my car and get my own.

Mine is a 1995, 4 dr, auto, with 174,000 mile on it. The Jeep was stock when I got it and I wanted to raise her up so with my brother's help we got the correct parts to do it.

I raised it 3 inches using a kit from 4WD.com. It was one of their own brand. It came with new coil springs, 4 gas shocks (I opted for red boots to accent the red stripes down the side), extended stabilizer links and dropped the transfer case. I opted for the new leaf springs as opposed to just helper springs. Not sorry I did that either cause it sits awesome! My brother's Jeep sits a little low in the back as he used helper springs. He says he likes mine better and will be opting to change his springs out.

I also put on some Kuhmo 31X10.5X15 tires. I went with black 'D' window wheels that are 15X8. I run the front tires at 30 psi and the rear at 25psi. There is not too much weight in the rear of these and I was barely using the rear tires until I dropped the pressure. Rides nice now.

Here is a picture of what the Jeep looks like today. In the picture the front bumper is bent. This was like this when I got it. I have since changed it and it is now nice and straight.

I have a total of $3000.00 tied up in the Jeep. I am more then happy with the end results.

I have been wanting to put a hitch on it and decided to put an ad on CraigsList to see if anyone had one they wanted to part with. Well ... a guy calls me this morning and tells me he has a Reese one on his son's '95 that he is willing to part with for $50.00. I am happy with that so I tell him okay.

We then start talking and he mentions that he has to move the Jeep to his work as the neighborhood he lives in will not allow storage of non running vehicles. I ask him what is wrong with it. He says he is not sure but it does not run. I ask him more about it and he tells me it is dark green (like mine) and it is tan interior (like mine) and that it has all power ... windows, steering, cruise control etc ... all of which worked.

The reason I am mentioning this is because my brother's XJ is kind of getting on its last legs. He has almost 300,000 miles on it and things are starting to let go. So ... I am thinking ... since his has a rebuilt engine and good trans etc ... maybe he might be interested in getting this one and swapping out this engine. So ... I ask the guy what he would be willing to take for it. He then proceeds to tell me that he just put all brand new tires on it along with a new radiator. He also just had it tuned up etc. He tells me that the least he will let it go for is ... you ready for this? ... $250.00 ... yep ... I am not forgetting any zeroes. thumbs

Needless to say we bought it. Now my brother and I will have almost identical Jeeps. The main difference will be that he likes white outlined tires and I like blackwalls.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. You did a good job on it. Enjoy and get it out on the trails. Cool

Welcome to the forum, Mark.

Wink
90XJDE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

I like the color , Newark , DE myself ... welcome ... Very Happy
quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice jeep! the wife and i have had a couple XJ's over the past few years but both are running TJ's right now. hope to see you around (just south of dover)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Intro and Testing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: